First acrylic pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from indytruks138

indytruks138

Turned my first acrylic tonight. While I prefer wood I am happy with the final result. I have sone work to get better turning the acrylic but I love the strings they throw off. I just did the micromesh polish up to 12,000, not polish so I know it could be better but I still like it. Please give honest comments and criticism as I'm here to get better!
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190226_221040_987.jpg
    IMG_20190226_221040_987.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looks good from here. Do a little polish on it and sell it or as many people do keep their first. :)

Thank you, any specific polish you recommend?

Oh my there are many different polishes out there. probably many people use a car wax like Mcguire's or something like that. I have always used Micro polish made by the same people who make the Micro mesh products.

magpens

Polishing: . since you have gone through the full Micromesh,

I would use Novus 3 (could actually leave this one out), then Novus 2, then Mequiar's PlastX.

Timber Ripper

Nice job Ryan!
When I did my first acrylic I didn't have any plastic polish on hand to follow up after MM. So I tried automotive buffing compound I had sitting on the shelf in the garage. The shine tripled! I still use it today followed by PlastX

Last edited:

BSea

Good job Ryan. I also agree with polishing. Even wooden pens finished with CA can benefit from polishing. I have the Beale buffing system, and I swear by it.

gtriever

For acrylics I used to use PlastX but now polish in 2 steps, with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 2 - Fine Cut Cleaner, followed by Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 9 - Swirl Remover 2.0.

indytruks138

Great fit and finish.

Thank you, I am still a newb in the pen turning process but I was very happy with how well the blank ended up for the fit piece.

I did this with my new Magic Skew carbide cutter from start to finish. First time using that tool and first time on the acrylic blanks.

Top Bottom