Fire Steel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from matthewrblack

matthewrblack

Was rather bored ::) earlier so I decided to make a fire steel with one of the Ferrocerium rods I ordered ages ago. Just thought i would post it, as I have not been on here as regularly as I would like.
Matthew
DSCF3374.jpg

DSCF3370.jpg

DSCF3368.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I just googled it!!!:biggrin: I thought it looked too short to be a poker. What do you strike against it?

Mark

Awesome idea. Where did you find the rods?

I'd love to make a couple of them. I have 14 hunters in my camp. They would all love them...

dl351

That looks nice!

I've done a couple of these as gifts, and sold one. That was back when I'd attach a block of wood to the rod and go at it with the belt sander to shape it. I have a few to try on my lathe (now that I have a lathe). You've inspired me to get cracking on the fire steels!

matthewrblack

I just googled it!!! I thought it looked too short to be a poker. What do you strike against it?

There is a flat piece of metal supplied with the bought sets but a jigsaw blade ground smooth works well if not better.

Awesome idea. Where did you find the rods?

I'd love to make a couple of them. I have 14 hunters in my camp. They would all love them...

I got the blanks from http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/fire/flint-steels/army-firesteel-blanks.htm.

I just got them to see how they were in comparison to the branded ones.

Texatdurango

There is a flat piece of metal supplied with the bought sets but a jigsaw blade ground smooth works well if not better.

Wouldn't it be cool to epoxy the small jigsaw blade into a piece of wood then attach that piece of wood as a finial to the handle!

That way you could just unscrew the handle cap and you're ready to go.

The fire sticks are great. I saw them at a show last year and am kicking myself for not getting one. The booth that had them were selling them by the dozens.

Top Bottom