Finishing pen stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from larryc

larryc

I made some pen stands from walnut like shown in Lau Lau Woodworks website, to go with the Rollerball Desk Set pens ( Rollerball Deskset pen Kit )

I'm unaccustomed to finishing anything that isn't spinning on the lathe and was wondering what ideas might be out there. Is it possible to put a CA finish on flat surfaces like this?

Attachments

• Lau Lau.jpg
    Lau Lau.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 539
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I made some coaster holders from Mahogany once and just used clear polyurethane from a spray can to finish them. They ended up looking real nice after a few coats and light sanding with 400 grit between.

jttheclockman

2 methods I would use are a couple coats of Danish oil and polish it out use lemon oil and 1200 grit wet dry paper or even MM.

Or rattle can lacquer and do the same polish technique. I do not like the look of poly on wood. With Danish oil, people here will jump all over me and say Danish oil has poly in it but to them I would say the quantity is very minimal and does not build like straight poly.

I must stress this again this is MY opinion.

corgicoupe

Or make your own "danish oil" using spar varnish and tung oil (or linseed oil). Thin with turpentine or mineral spirits. Finish as per John T. (Spar just looks better than poly.)

Top Bottom