Finishing machine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Framer

Thinking about getting one of these machines to free up my lathe while finishing. Anybody have any experience with these or is there a better alternative. I probably will get another lathe some day but might be a while I need lots of practice with one I have

Attachments

• Capture+_2019-06-21-07-26-21.png
    Capture+_2019-06-21-07-26-21.png
    462.5 KB · Views: 299
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have no experience with this item. I do have a request. If you buy one, would you please post a photo
of you using this tool, and your lathe at the same time? I think your lathe will work better.
But, it's your money....not mine

dogcatcher

Some scrap lumber, a hand drill and make something like this.

A simple mount for the hand drill and a short mandrel covers the sanding in the mandrel part. 3 buffing wheels mounted on individual 3/8" bolts with the head cut off cover the buffing. Less than $50 with a new drill. Get a cheap brush type drill and add dial speed control with a router controller for $30. So far up to $80 and time spent.

monophoto

My first lathe was larger than this machine, and when I moved up, I sold it for $75.

So I suspect that if you tried, you could find a used mini-lathe that would do everything that this machine can do, and would cost less.

moke

I was thinking of this very thing a few years ago. I started looking on Craigslist and ebay and finally found an "econo" Rikon lathe. It is less than ideal for turning, but I just wanted to put a Beall buff on it. I think woodcraft sold it for 139 as a close out. Since then, I have seen some mini lathes for 100.00 to 200.00 on facebook. You just need to make sure it is MT2, so accessories are readily available.

magpens

Read the answers to questions on the PSI website. .
You will be limited to small diameter buffing wheels. .
Price seems high for what you get. .
You need to know what speed range is available. .
I agree with others' replies that a second hand lathe would be a better option. .

Gregf

I picked one up during a free shipping offer.
What I wanted was a light weight portable finishing setup to have upstairs.
Set it up finish a few pens and put it away. Or set it up outside on the deck during nice weather. (If we ever get any).
I use the mandrel, not buffing wheels. The bare bones system for $119.
I do a lot of wet sanding, and this keeps the water away from my lathe.
I think it is well made for the price, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Mark James helped me make mine. Under $10.00 for all parts and variable speed. Turns fine and way less than $200.00!!

Top Bottom