Finishing Desert Iron Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm making a couple of pens using Desert Iron Wood. My normal finish on both pens and other turned items is multiple coats of Wipe on Poly (WOP). Is WOP okay to use for finishing as this wood seems to be quite oily. Any ideas on finishing techniques would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

XanderPen

I'm making a couple of pens using Desert Iron Wood. My normal finish on both pens and other turned items is multiple coats of Wipe on Poly (WOP). Is WOP okay to use for finishing as this wood seems to be quite oily. Any ideas on finishing techniques would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
My brother in law makes snooker cues out of iron wood. You really want to finish those with dozenS of light coats of spray laquer. But before all that you need to sand it to 800 clean with ethanol between grits.. maybe the translation is not working; but you say iron wood. That is mainly used for tool handles (at least here).. it is an extremely undesirable wood and nasty to work with. In fact, I made a work bench top from siam iron wood; it just sits in my garage because it gives me a rash if I touch it.

Top Bottom