Finishing Buffalo Horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I have just drilled my first Buffalo Horn. The fun side was inviting my 14-year old daughter out to the garage while I drilled the second horn and told her to breathe deeply :biggrin:. She was not impressed but I'm still laughing. My question is: do you finish something like this like you would an acrylic (wet sanding to 12000 and using a plastic polish) or is there another, preferred method. I'm using it for a razor kit and stand.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

I've done some bh and didn't know the inherent risks..first thing is while it seems funny to show someone the odiferous side of our hobby...there are inherent risks to inhaling some of these things. I'm not trying to be a downer(I love when my grandkids came out to the shop) but there are dangers to inhaling some of the materials we turn, especially antler, horn, and I'm sure there will be some other comments on the anything rule. Please don't take this as a negative reaction...I LOVE when kids get involved in our hobby..just passing on info I've learned without the judgemental aspect...and I'm sure there will be some livid comments forthwith:wink:....ooops...to answer your q...I had a lot of luck putting on a thin coat of thin ca to seal the horn and then using basically any finish technique afterwards...seems antler and horn needs a sealer to maintain a lasting finish.....jmho...good luck!

Last edited:
Buffalo horn or any horn or antler can also benefit from CA in that it will help to encase and sort of stabilize it from expansion and contraction issues of the environment.
Without it, you can use Micro Mesh, Abrasion or whatever high end abrasives to get to a polish stage.

If you aren't going to use a CA or filling finish, then you can get slurry from the wet sanding in the cracks. Not a problem and most users wouldn't notice and it will still buff or polish to a lovely finish. (Yep, I said lovely!)

Top Bottom