Finishing antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jscola

I have a piece of antler that I am turning for a bolt action pen . What is the best way to finish it ? I can't use CA because my hands break out from using it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I don't put a finish at all on antler. Just polish with micro mesh and maybe some Renaissance Wax and you're good to go.

I agree with this unless you get some pith exposed - then the open pores need to be filled. I like to seal mine regardless but other don't - i have sealed it with a couple of light coats of poly the MM or Dr Kirks polish

Kenny Durrant

Like mentioned earlier if it's solid I just mm and polish. If there are any pits I seal with ca. Do you react with the ca when your polishing or when writing? If just when finishing try using gloves. Other than ca I don't know of anything for filling the pits.

keithbyrd

is Kirks polish like or the same as one step

I have never used one Step - but Dr Kirks is a 3 part polishing compound that I use instead of MM. I actually use the brown and green MM, use the 3 part Kirks, polish with Ht Ultra Plastic polish the n top off with a light coat of Ren Wax.
Doesn't replace the finish - just finishes the finish!:biggrin:

TimS124

I don't react to CA when using it, but I still wear gloves when applying the finishing - much easier to clean my hands up (just remove the gloves) afterwards.

Antler, even the outer part, will absorb dirt/oil/etc from the user over time. If that's not a problem for who ever gets the pen, then you're fine.

I put a few thin coats of CA on, then polish the finish, to help keep the antler clean (and clean-able) for the owner.

Top Bottom