finishing acrylic and wood segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Federman

I can finish my wood pens and also acrylics but I do not know where to begin with a segmented acrylic/wood.

Anyone have tips on this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

exoticwo

You should not have any problems finishing the Segmented pens. Just take your time and stop and look at your progress as you go thru your steps. You might want to make a test piece and see how things work out. Just make sure you have no fine scratches in the Acrylics. I usually WET SAND my acrylics and it will work with wood, just make sure the wood parts are dry prior to applying your finish.

fernhills

Hi, i was trying to do my own CBs so i used a hunk of acralic on a lighter wood such as bass, every thing was going along fine as i was going through my wet sanding routine then i started to notice that the light color wood was picking up a greenish hue to it,the color of the CB.Sooo now i am not sure if i should mix the plastics and woods together,i am sort of sorry cause i can see a lot possibilities.Carl

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
You can do a couple of things to minimize the bleed-over. 1) seal the wood with thin CA before sanding so there is no place for the green to go. 2) sand unidirectionally going from the wood towards and onto the plastic so the plastic never gets onto the wood in the first place.

Same things you can/should/need to do when you are mixing light and dark woods.

GK

Tim

I am about to try my makine my first wood/acrylic and was wondering about this same question. Thanks for having the info here.

I was inspired by an artile on Mark and Brian Gisi. Amazing, the things the do with materials to make pens.

Tim

fernhills

Originally posted by fernhills
<br />Hi, i was trying to do my own CBs so i used a hunk of acralic on a lighter wood such as bass, every thing was going along fine as i was going through my wet sanding routine then i started to notice that the light color wood was picking up a greenish hue to it,the color of the CB.Sooo now i am not sure if i should mix the plastics and woods together,i am sort of sorry cause i can see a lot possibilities.Carl

Ok,was it because i was sanding wet,it didn`t bleed over until it was wet.. Carl

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The easiest way to avoid bleed in ANY segmentation is to paint a sealing layer of thin CA on the wood as you get near final dimension. Seal early and seal often...especially if you are going to wet sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom