Finishes for hybrid blanks (acrylic & wood)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I treat it like a wooden blank and use multiple coats of thin CA to finish it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
GluBoost will work fine over the poured resin cast. In fact, if Alumilite is not polishing to your satisfaction, a quick couple layers of gluboost thin can be polished to a high shine--of course it will also make the wood look sensational.

Kenny Durrant

No. CA won't hurt the Acrylic. If the resin is Alumilite it will help the shine like Ed mentioned above. Although the Hybrid blanks will turn and sand differently as you go from wood to acrylic when finishing it should all go pretty much the same.

TonyL

Thanks. The CA works ok on the acrylic?
I have no long term scientific research, but I started using a few coats of CA in some 100% non-woods, just for added protection. I do wind up finishing it twice to a certain degree. I have used gluboost or mercury flex. I have applied it to my every day carry dress in M3 believe it or not.
I may not do for all, but haven't had any returned and none of mine look like the acrylic is being damaged, but I only started this about 3 months ago on acrylics, non-woods. I have some stickfast, but haven't tried it yet.

Top Bottom