finished pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from peter1958

peter1958

The upper blank was made today. Finished with CA.
Woods azobe, beeach, merbau and yellowhart.
Veneers black and white PVC.

Attachments

• 20210313_172229.jpg
    20210313_172229.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 20210313_172238.jpg
    20210313_172238.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The finished pen looks great. Nice use of materials and the segmenting looks precise. Now there maybe some here that probably will not like the design but the thing is the execution of some tough segmenting and that needs to be taken into account. I see this in the segmenting contests all the time. People do not realize the work and perfection needed to pull off some of these segmented pen designs. Nice work and I applaud you. Thanks for showing and keep up the good work.

peter1958

The finished pen looks great. Nice use of materials and the segmenting looks precise. Now there maybe some here that probably will not like the design but the thing is the execution of some tough segmenting and that needs to be taken into account. I see this in the segmenting contests all the time. People do not realize the work and perfection needed to pull off some of these segmented pen designs. Nice work and I applaud you. Thanks for showing and keep up the good work.
There you nailed it. It is difficult to make a perfect blank when it is segmented like that.
I have a big industrial lathe that had to be finetuned, what took a while. The saw i use to cut the scallops is from 1946 with a 6 bearing rolling table.
That needed some work to adjust.
On the lathe i made a sanding disc 20 inch, adjustable table in front of it.
Every blank needs 8 cuts for all scallops and the blank must stay square all the time, so sanding is a slow precise process.
This is the first use of PVC in pen making, so all new to me.
The black PVC is 0.5mm thick, the white 0.76mm. Also have 0.25mm white what i use next time.
The design is a matter of taste. I like the process making something like that with a perfect finish.
A nice woodburl or nicely grained wood is also very beautiful on designs i see here. So that will be made also when i have dried some wood that i got from neighbours.

Top Bottom