Finished pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

I just finished this pen tonight...I know it not as nice as most pictures on here..but I'm kinda proud of it...thank you..I'm not too good at taking pictures but I hope it looks ok...

Attachments

• 20171219_205419.jpg
    20171219_205419.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 539
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Jeff, I like the pen, and I like the turned dish it's leaning up against.
I never complain about a person'e quality of pic, as long as I can see the pen clearly, that's fine for me. No doubt like me, you decided to be a pen turner not a photographer. I may be the only member that thinks this way, but sometimes, there's just to much emphasis placed on a photo of a pen. It really burns me up, when someone posts a picture of a pen, and all they get are negative comments about the picture quality. This is a pen turning site isn't it? It is not a photography site or group, or I wouldn't have become a member here. I would like for people to keep that in mind, when complaining about a pen photo. I turn pens, but I'm not a good photographer. So because of the photo complaint issue, I don't post pics of my pens or my bowls. It is much better that I don't for the group, because people would be put off with my remarks, when I tell them what they could do with their photo remarks. It is much better, that I keep what I turn to myself. If I didn't, I have the feeling that I would be considered personna non gratis here on the site. Yes, it is a pleasure to view some of the beautiful pen photos, that some people can come up with. More power to them, they probably enjoy taking photos. And some of them, probably have taken classes on how to take good pics. It was their choice to do so, and I hope they enjoyed themselves taking the classes. I have absolutely no interest in taking a photo class, there are other things I would far rather learn. That's if I wanted to take any classes, I don't, I am happy with the outcome of my picture taking. If no one else is,it really doesn't make to much difference to me.

Len

Jeff, I like the pen, and I like the turned dish it's leaning up against.
I never complain about a person'e quality of pic, as long as I can see the pen clearly, that's fine for me. No doubt like me, you decided to be a pen turner not a photographer. I may be the only member that thinks this way, but sometimes, there's just to much emphasis placed on a photo of a pen. It really burns me up, when someone posts a picture of a pen, and all they get are negative comments about the picture quality. This is a pen turning site isn't it? It is not a photography site or group, or I wouldn't have become a member here. I would like for people to keep that in mind, when complaining about a pen photo. I turn pens, but I'm not a good photographer. So because of the photo complaint issue, I don't post pics of my pens or my bowls. It is much better that I don't for the group, because people would be put off with my remarks, when I tell them what they could do with their photo remarks. It is much better, that I keep what I turn to myself. If I didn't, I have the feeling that I would be considered personna non gratis here on the site. Yes, it is a pleasure to view some of the beautiful pen photos, that some people can come up with. More power to them, they probably enjoy taking photos. And some of them, probably have taken classes on how to take good pics. It was their choice to do so, and I hope they enjoyed themselves taking the classes. I have absolutely no interest in taking a photo class, there are other things I would far rather learn. That's if I wanted to take any classes, I don't, I am happy with the outcome of my picture taking. If no one else is,it really doesn't make to much difference to me.

Len
One of the benefits to taking an in focus picture of anything that a person wishes to sell online, is being able to give the buyer or interested party an accurate representation of what it is they're buying. Obviously a picture can never fully capture the beauty of a turned pen. I have found it very difficult to compete with well photographed pens that others are selling. I have never sold at a craft show but have sold to someone who have seen my pens in person. It makes a huge difference if someone is able to see and touch it in person than in a picture. I'm still a novice and am still very much learning.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's the perfect shape for a Slimline. Good match with the kit plating to the blank too. Well done.:good:

Gregory Hardy

I am thankful for Len's reply. I respect the dedication of our colleagues to excellent photography - I really do, and I am always trying to improve my own...but there must be a photography forum, right? I keep spending money on light tents and such, and spending time testing, but guess what? I would rather be making pens!

Jeff - That is a beauty. Make another pen. Make a million pens. You did a good job. Congratulations.
(Or...sell your lathe, buy a camera and find a different forum.) :)

Gregory Hardy

It's really a GREAT PEN!
(For what ever it may be worth to you, brother, I will give some unsolicited advice. I don't think so well of my self or my work that I need other people to pat me on the back. I don't make art. I build tools. The "art' is what people do with my pens. I would say the same thing if I was a hammer maker. I do work hard to make nice pens, to make pens as beautiful as I am able - that's the craftsman in me. When I finish a pen, the first thing I do is write the words, "I love you," on a scrap of paper to make sure my tool will serve the owner well. Advice? Write, "I love you," with your pens and keep right on going, no matter what anyone says. You'll be a happier man and a VERY satisfied craftsman.")

Not for nothing, but I liked the photograph. :)

Pen Joe

like the looks and the shape, hope my first one comes out that good, heck maybe the next on or the next one, be proud of it.

jeff3285

It's really a GREAT PEN!
(For what ever it may be worth to you, brother, I will give some unsolicited advice. I don't think so well of my self or my work that I need other people to pat me on the back. I don't make art. I build tools. The "art' is what people do with my pens. I would say the same thing if I was a hammer maker. I do work hard to make nice pens, to make pens as beautiful as I am able - that's the craftsman in me. When I finish a pen, the first thing I do is write the words, "I love you," on a scrap of paper to make sure my tool will serve the owner well. Advice? Write, "I love you," with your pens and keep right on going, no matter what anyone says. You'll be a happier man and a VERY satisfied craftsman.")

you know im not a master pen builder or photographer and I certainly didn't make my living at making pens,,,or hustling them to make ends meet,,,and I certainly am not trying to boast on it or as you put it be patted on the back,,but I thought that was what this forum was about ,,talking with different people and asking questions to try to learn,,instead of having some rude person as yourself to make nasty comments about someone or a picture they put up,,,i have always been taught,,if you cant say something good about someone or something,,,,KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!

Wagner11

It's really a GREAT PEN!

you know im not a master pen builder or photographer and I certainly didn't make my living at making pens,,,or hustling them to make ends meet,,,and I certainly am not trying to boast on it or as you put it be patted on the back,,but I thought that was what this forum was about ,,talking with different people and asking questions to try to learn,,instead of having some rude person as yourself to make nasty comments about someone or a picture they put up,,,i have always been taught,,if you cant say something good about someone or something,,,,KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!
I like the pen and couldn't care less about the photo quality.

However, I am at a complete loss as to how you found this rude. The man literally said keep going regardless of what anyone may say about your photography.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Gregory Hardy

It's really a GREAT PEN!

I like the pen and couldn't care less about the photo quality.

However, I am at a complete loss as to how you found this rude. The man literally said keep going regardless of what anyone may say about your photography.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Oh, dear - If I offended you, I'm sorry, Jeff. I agree with you one hundred percent - that is what this forum is for, to talk and learn and ask questions. If I communicated poorly, I apologize. The comment by Wagner 11 above is spot on: I was trying to say, "Keep going regardless of what anyone says about your photography." If you read further above, you'll see that I said good things about the pen (and photo), and I meant them. Sometimes people get so absorbed in their photography that they stop looking at the pens. Your photograph showed a great pen, and that's all I wanted to say. Best wishes, and Happy New Year. -Greg

Beautys_Beast

So because of the photo complaint issue, I don't post pics of my pens or my bowls. It is much better that I don't for the group, because people would be put off with my remarks, when I tell them what they could do with their photo remarks. It is much better, that I keep what I turn to myself. If I didn't, I have the feeling that I would be considered personna non gratis here on the site.

Len

Len,

I agree with everything you said about photography, and people's comments. I disagree with the part I quoted, and this goes along with what you were saying. I WANT to see your work. I don't care about the photography, but I love seeing the creativity. It fuels my own. I believe if people are feeling they can't post pictures of their work, it really takes away from the function of the forum.

Just my .02 cents

Top Bottom