Finished One

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Todd in PA

Todd in PA

IMG_8019.jpeg
I haven't had a pen to share in a while. But I needed to share this one. It's my second attempt at a kitless pen.

It's somesorta-acrylic, starting with a Jowo #6 nib, I built the section out of ebonite rod. I broke the first (sliding tail stock rammed the spinning blank). Then rethreaded the new one 3 times, trying to shorten it and get the feed to seat nicely without sticking.

Moved on to the pen body, and it was way too long, so shortened and rethreaded it. Then added a threaded end cap and some aluminum to set it off. Which put back on all the length I was trying to shorten. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I made the cap twice. I made it too long, then shortened it too short. 🤪 Even after drilling out the end cap, the nib was hitting, so I started over long again.

I improvised a custom finial after I shaved a bit too much off said end cap and found the tip of the hole from when I drilled it out. 😮‍💨

So this is really the culmination of 3 pens. 🤣 But I learned a fair bit.

Additional questions and observations.
  1. I don't need to tell this crowd that did a bad job with the visible threads. I'm going to cut the tenon smaller, pre-polish it, and leave some flats at the top of the threads next time.
  2. I built the cap with a recess and slot for a clip (twice), but turned it past the clip recess getting the shape I wanted for the overall pen. I was using a clip from an Atrax kit. Question: Next time can I just cut the clip ring and squeeze the ring to a smaller diameter? Or buy clips with smaller rings?
  3. The overall length is 17.7". I'm kidding, but I still think the pen should be smaller. I'm limited by the Jowo#6 and the 3 taps/2 dies I own. Suggestions welcome for different technique, or purchases.

IMG_8026.jpeg
IMG_8031.jpeg
IMG_8028.jpeg
IMG_8030.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

1. The overall length is 17.7". I'm kidding, but I still think the pen should be smaller. I'm limited by the Jowo#6 and the 3 taps/2 dies I own. Suggestions welcome for different technique, or purchases.
How long is it? How long do you want it to be? About 5" capped is the shortest I've gotten a jowo #6 converter pen. You waste a lot of space if you don't have the nib passing through the clip ring and into the finial, so if you can get a clip with a large enough internal diameter clip ring, you can shave some length off by having the nib go into the cap finial.

Hippie3180

Well you made it through and it looks great, no one would know it was such a struggle. 🤣
Great job, and good for you that you stuck with it.

Todd in PA

How long is it? How long do you want it to be? About 5" capped is the shortest I've gotten a jowo #6 converter pen. You waste a lot of space if you don't have the nib passing through the clip ring and into the finial, so if you can get a clip with a large enough internal diameter clip ring, you can shave some length off by having the nib go into the cap finial.
I should have included the actual length. Im surprised that the measurement is just over 5.75". It feels longer than that. 🤷‍♂️I was using an Atrax clip and so I had an Atrax pen as my reference (4.75"). I think I can see where to shave a quarter inch off the section, making the cap shorter, plus a quarter inch off the pen body.

derekdd

Inspirational, Todd.

I'm getting more and more tempted to try a kitless pen.

Thanks so much for talking us through your process on this.

Looks lovely to me.

Top Bottom