Finished Collaboration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I received a photograph of the finished pens. I constructed the blanks and turned the finials, a very talented woodturner completed the pens as birthday gifts for his sons. He graciously gave me permission to show the result.

View in Gallery

And just in case anyone forgot, there is a cool event in a few weeks.

Original information here.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
FANTASTIC WORK! BeautifuL WORK! Artistic, skillful and PATIENT are the attributes of that collaboration!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thank you to all the above for your kind comments.

Very beautiful design and super craftsmanship . Keep up the good work Mark. I hope you are working on different original designs. Take care.

Thanks Joe, I've got 3 maybe 4 possibilities. One I have been working on for about 4 months but just haven't worked through the segmenting issues yet.

Mark:
Again you are a great teacher of the art of segmenting.

Cheers

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, maybe some day I'll try some of YOUR designs - ornaments; I doubt bowls like yours are in my future.

Beautiful design and craftmanship ! The finish looks great also, can you share what you used?

Thank you - I did not do the final turning/finishing. A much better wood turner than I completed the pens. However, he asked for a recommendation from me for a finish. I freely admitted that finishes are a weak point in my penturning. But, I recommended a Polyurethane finish.

With as many joints as are present in the finials and the upper blanks, and given that there probably will be some movement of the wood due to humidity, etc; I believe that a urethane may give a bit more chance for survival. But as I say, this is not a strong point for me and others may have a better suggestion.

However, he did use a Polyurethane finish.

OZturner

Outstanding Pens, and Collaboration Mark,
Your Contribution is the Epitome, of Precision, and Craftsmanship from Concept to Execution.
The Precise Detail, in Material Selection, Design Execution, Construction Sequencing and Final Presentation, is Magnificent.
Masterful Mark.
Well Done.
Regards,
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is a very nice pen and execution , when I got my personal workshop I will have to give it a go
Thanks for showing us Mark .

G'Day Serge, you do need to try these. A learning curve yes, but well worth the effort.

Beautiful results, Mark !! . Your work shines !!!

Thanks Mal, the turner did an excellent job, and it was a fun project.

The Terrific Trio!!! Excellent work Mark!

To the turner: Excellent finished pen! Fit and finish are top notch!

Hi Charlie. I was sweating the materials if they would be up to expectations. It is very nice to see someone else turn these; he did an excellent job - as I expected.

Outstanding Pens, and Collaboration Mark,
Your Contribution is the Epitome, of Precision, and Craftsmanship from Concept to Execution.
The Precise Detail, in Material Selection, Design Execution, Construction Sequencing and Final Presentation, is Magnificent.
Masterful Mark.
Well Done.
Regards,
Brian.

Thank you Brian. I value your comments.

One word comes to mind, Amazing !

Thanks Keith, these were a commission - so they needed to be better than what I would have accepted for my own pile of pens.

Oustanding work from both of you. I'd say you've mastered the art of making segmented blanks, the pens are beautiful.

Mastered - Nah... Just trying to stay out of the dog house. I appreciate your compliment though. Hi Ho, Hi Ho... Onto the next design. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom