Finished a couple in Acrylester today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

This stuff IMO is a PITA to work with . BUT worth it for the colors out there .. I love the colors in these two...The pink with this kit has a IMO retro look ..

Anyway with sharp tools and mean really sharp and very SLOW drilling you can work this stuff . BUT I would NOT recomend it for a new turner at all because of the chipping when turned and it a crack when drilled easier than anything I ever turned and I have turned MOST plastics out there ..

But again IMO the colors make it worth while ..

patrioticcigarchromeSmall.jpg

pink7mmroundtopstreamlineSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

good job on the pens.

I turn this stuff too. it is a b@#$% to drill.
I found out the lazy way on how to drill this stuff without it crackin.
My dad used the drill press one morning and he had to slow it down.
I was too lazy to speed it up for my drilling needs. so i just left the speed alone and drilled out some of the plastics from woodturningz. didn't have a one crack on me that time.
I will also dump some water in the drilled hole from time to time while drilling to help keep the material and drill bit cool.
this has helped me out alot while drilling plastic materials.

Pipes

Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />good job on the pens.

I turn this stuff too. it is a b@#$% to drill.
I found out the lazy way on how to drill this stuff without it crackin.
My dad used the drill press one morning and he had to slow it down.
I was too lazy to speed it up for my drilling needs. so i just left the speed alone and drilled out some of the plastics from woodturningz. didn't have a one crack on me that time.
I will also dump some water in the drilled hole from time to time while drilling to help keep the material and drill bit cool.
this has helped me out alot while drilling plastic materials.

I agree you need to keep it cool when drilling . UNLIKE CSUSA and Bereas blanks this stuff a crack in heart beat . I sharpen my bit also on almost every one a these I drill seems to help also .I also have a spray bottle of water I hit it with while I am drilling .. stuff is IMO a PITA but . I also think it polishes nicer than most so it has one good point :O) [:D]

cozee

Sweet looking pens!! Is the top one the Patriotic Swirl? And which kit did you use with the pink one?

I drill everything on the DP's slowest speed. Water, yep! A few drops of dish washing liquid to help the water do it's job a little better. I learned a little trick from Ed4copies and do not drill completely through each blank and then cutting it off afterwards. I would periodically have the bit catch the blank on exit and bust it apart. I don't really find it a pain, just that it has it's peculiarities as does other acrylics and woods.

Pipes

Originally posted by cozee
<br />Sweet looking pens!! Is the top one the Patriotic Swirl? And which kit did you use with the pink one?

I drill everything on the DP's slowest speed. Water, yep! A few drops of dish washing liquid to help the water do it's job a little better. I learned a little trick from Ed4copies and do not drill completely through each blank and then cutting it off afterwards. I would periodically have the bit catch the blank on exit and bust it apart. I don't really find it a pain, just that it has it's peculiarities as does other acrylics and woods.

The pink kit is a Berea 7mm round top bought from AZ not many do this kit I love it personaly . and it sells well for me .And yes the other blank is Patriotic Swirl.

doddman70

Great looking pens!! I have turned several of these blanks with several of them cracking on me while drilling it wasn't untill I turned the speed up to about 1200 rpm that they drilled much better for me. go figure[:D]

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom