Finished a BIG bowl....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

....at least for me!

This is a 13 3/4" X 3 3/4" bowl. I posted a picture of this when I found a "leaf" imprinted in the wood. You can see it at about 2:00 o'clock on the first picture.

The wood was a gift from Dieseldoc that he had rough turned some time ago. Great friend; great mentor!

The finish is 3 coats of Sanding Sealer; multiple coats of Tung Oil; 3 coats of paste wax.

An interesting challenge, as I had to buy a set of large Cole Jaws to hold the bowl while I turned the tenon off, and while I finished the bottom, and a tool rest that would reach inside this bowl. I also found that the grain on Redwood is "interesting" in that it goes every which way and there is a big difference between the hard and soft parts of the grain.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures; I took them with my iPhone.

Your comments are most welcome. Now i just have to figure out what to put in the bowl....it looks kind of naked just sitting there.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WWorkman

Great looking bowl, the wood grain is nice and the "leaf" is one of those hidden bonuses you get now and then.

Here is Walnut/Oak and Turquoise inlay bowl I made a while back that ended up having a near perfectly centered "Bowtie" in the bottom. Natures little suprises.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

WWorkman

For the dots on the top edge of the bowl I used a compass to layout the locations on some plain white paper matching the diameter of the top edge on the bowl. I used a sharp point punch to set the center of each hole and drilled down about 3/16" with a sharp brad point drill bit. Using the brad point bit gives more of a straight shoulder to the edges of the holes than a standard bit. The rings of inlay on the outer sides of the bowl were grooved out with a parting tool down about 3/16" also. I angled those cuts slightly inward on the edges to help lock in the inlay. I used a mix of coarse/medium and fine powder turquoise for the inlay and thin CA glue to lock it up.

***Before I started with inlay, I sealed the entire bowl with several coats of shellac to keep any runoff of the CA glue from penetrating the wood.

Warren White

Thanks Bob,

Excellent description! I would love to try that on a future project.

Can you share where you get the inlay material?

Dieseldoc

Warren;
You sure did the block of 100 year old redwood justice, very nice job with the tung oil, like I said it all take time. Congrats my friend.
Charlie

Warren White

Thank you Charlie....

....not only for the wood, but also (and more importantly) your friendship and encouragement.

You 'da man!

Warren - excellent work! I really like the way you finished the bottom. Classy.

BTW - that's so nice you shouldn't have to worry about putting anything in it!

PenPal

Love the finished bowl Warren you have mentioned to me on the phone how you value your friendship with Charlie,i believe you did him proud. I would mount this on a stand that revolves to display this beautiful grain and INHO suitable ,strong finish.

Kind regards to Charlie and yourself.

Peter.

WWorkman

Excellent description! I would love to try that on a future project.

Can you share where you get the inlay material?

It has been some time ago but I purchased mine from: Walston Wood Works, there are also some sellers on ETSY selling the inlay materials for around the same price point.

Top Bottom