Finish for a wood ring?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jimskio

jimskio

What would be the best finish for a wooden ring in your opinion? Ebony, maple, purpleheart, cocobolo and the like. My girlfriend has requested I make a few so I would like to put on a good finish.

thanks,
jimskio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I am skeptical that there is any finish that will really hold up to 16 hours a day of contact with skin and the sweat that we constantly emit. I think you really need to find a very low allergen wood and go with that.

philipff

You might try a CA and BLO combination, just like the one I use on my pens. It seems to last forever and stays nice and natural looking. Phil

David Keller

I've done quite a few, and I've had my best luck with stabilized wood. I usually use BLO and wax for the finish. My wife loves hers and the finish is easy to touch up if needed.

Umeubbe

Hi there.

I'm just a crazy Swed unable to do anything about pencils, but I try to learn it. Can you maybe make a ring of horn or bone?

Sincerely / Urban

jimskio

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give the BLO and wax a try BUT what kind of wax do you use?
As far as making rings from bone or antler I have not tried but maybe someone here can answer that question.

thanks
jimskio

Top Bottom