?fingernail polish as a CA finish substitute?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nail polish is expensive lacquer with color.

It should work but you may have problms leveling it. Give it a try and show us the results. I'd be interested.

Same thing but without color.

Deft has a wipe on lacquer which is used allot with turners. For pens I would use the gloss finish. I'd guess it's about $10 a quart.

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish11.shtml

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Scottydont
<br />If I where going that route I would try dipping them in Deft using a potato to prevent the laquer from getting inside the tubes.

And you might not get as good and level a finish as if you did it on the lathe like most of us do... dipping lacquer can be real tricky as far as getting a smooth even finish...
All my lacquer finish pens are done on the lathe with Deft spray.. 4-5 coats then allowed to cure for a week before using automotive polishing compound followed by plastic polish on the lathe..

alamocdc

Tom is right about dipping and getting a good finish. That's how I do all my lacquer finishes and it can be tricky. I'm not sure about the potato plug thing though. You need to be able to stand or hang them vertically so you get an even finish. And you need some sort of bushing the size of each end of the barrel so the lacquer will flow evenly down the barrel. Just based on my experience and observations, but check out Russ' site for more details. He talks about this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom