Fine sanding detail sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phixius

I'm read few talk about no longer using micro mesh given up on micro mesh "too messy"... What is every one using instead? I use DNA before applying finish but heard few use other mediums... I'm new so I need all the info I can obtain... Please and thank you.

Psalms 46:1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I prefer to sand dry to 2000, then use a 4 stage buffing wheel. I just don't like wet standing, but I was very happy with the MM finish - just a personal preference. I still use it for Trustone and M3.

Lenny

I believe you may be referring to people switching over to zona paper. I haven't used it but it's supposed to be the next big thing. (At least according to those people selling it) 😀

howsitwork

Still using micro mesh (MM) on plastics. Might experiment with some polishing complunes ( just bought some to try ) . I still use either rhinogrip cloth backed abrasive to about 320 then switch to Abranet to 600 ( unless resinous then I use abranet all the way, on wood ).

On plastics I then switch to MM and go from 1200 to 12,000 wet sanding. I just put a towel over lathe bed bars and keep the MM wet with a bit of water to form a slurry and stop the MM clogging up. Bit messy but not bad.

Seems some then switch to polishing compound and / or buff. Now I've not tried buffing on pens . On metal objects, with great care to keep a good grip of the object, it's brilliant. On wood - I have had variable results but only started trying it recently so it will be me not the buffing system at fault. 🤦‍♂️

Lucky2

I use Micro Mesh on all of the pens I turn, and i don't find it to be messy at all. But I don't use water with the MM, I dry sand with it. So, all that I need to do, is to place the duct work in the proper position to suck up the dust made from sanding the blank.

Len

PBorowick

I use MM with water. I have a small plastic container that sits on the lathe bed with about 1/2" of water in it. I find that the MM cuts better when I can keep the pads clean.
Its what works for me.
I have read where some use dawn soap in the water to help keep the pads clean but I haven't tried that.

jttheclockman

I too use MM on all pens and wet sand. Never found it to be messy. I just put a paper towel under the pen and keeps the lathe dry. This works for me.

eharri446

I use a spray bottle from Dollar Tree and just spray each pad as I use it. One or two sprays is all it takes to do a blank like the Sierra.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Another MM user here, going on 15 years and several sets. I have used water a few times but it has been long ago. For some people, water & DNA cause problems that rears its head at the most inopportune times - cloudy finish on top or under the CA. It works well for many but watch out for cloudy finish.

If you do use DNA or water for cleaning or lube with MM or other sanding, keep a hair dryer near the lathe and blow dry it to make sure ALL moisture is gone before proceeding with finish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom