Find MINWAX Tung Oil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jick wu

I have been looking for MINWAX Tung Oil online, but they are all sold out. Does anyone know where this product is still on sale? Thank you for any information that provides channels for purchase.

Cheng

20210606210359.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I buy mine at Mennards. I just checked my local store and they have 7 in stock. No idea how wide spread Mennards are.

penicillin

I have been looking for MINWAX Tung Oil online, but they are all sold out. Does anyone know where this product is still on sale? Thank you for any information that provides channels for purchase. Cheng
You said "MINWAX Tung Oil". I hope you realize that the product is actually "MINWAX Tung Oil Finish".

MINWAX Tung Oil Finish is a blend that may not have much tung oil, if it has any tung oil at all. I have seen several sources that claim that it contains no tung oil, and the name is supposed to imply that it yields a finish that gives an appearance like tung oil.

You can buy 100% pure tung oil from many brands. They are all essentially the same ... pure tung oil.

If you are sure that you want the MINWAX Tung Oil Finish, then what you will get is a blend of many components. Considering the difficulties of getting the MINWAX product to China, have you thought of making your own similar finish? Many people do.

jick wu

You said "MINWAX Tung Oil". I hope you realize that the product is actually "MINWAX Tung Oil Finish".

MINWAX Tung Oil Finish is a blend that may not have much tung oil, if it has any tung oil at all. I have seen several sources that claim that it contains no tung oil, and the name is supposed to imply that it yields a finish that gives an appearance like tung oil.

You can buy 100% pure tung oil from many brands. They are all essentially the same ... pure tung oil.

If you are sure that you want the MINWAX Tung Oil Finish, then what you will get is a blend of many components. Considering the difficulties of getting the MINWAX product to China, have you thought of making your own similar finish? Many people do.
You are correct. The name is "MINWAX Tung Oil Finish". This is a consultation for my friend. He is a craftsman who makes pipes. He has always used this brand of decorative pipe surface. This product was easy to buy in the past, but recently It has been out of stock, so I came here to ask.

jick wu

Look for Formby's
Personally, I think it's a better Tung Oil finish.

What are you finishing?
Thank you for your information. Formby is available, but my friend made pipe decorative surfaces and used some other brands of tung oil, but he always thought that MINWAX Tung Oil Finish was the most suitable.

jick wu

I buy mine at Mennards. I just checked my local store and they have 7 in stock. No idea how wide spread Mennards are.
Thank you very much for providing this information. I don't know if they can mail it. I mail it to the US address first and then to China.

jick wu

Might want to check with Tung Oil from Lundmark. This is PURE Tung Oil . Have been using it for years great stuff.
630-628+1199 Addison , Il 60101
Maybe the brand name of "MINWAX Tung Oil Finish" is misunderstood by Chinese people. They all think it is pure tung oil. I recently searched the IAP website and got a lot of useful information. This is not pure tung oil. Pure tung oil is easy to obtain in China. Pure tung oil has a very slow drying time. I think the bucket maker is unwilling to wait. "MINWAX Tung Oil Finish" is polymerized tung oil, which can achieve the best performance on the surface of wood. Many pipe manufacturers in China recognize it.

jttheclockman

It is not sold out on Amazon in the USA. It is more expensive than a Lowes home center or even Ebay. Not sure if ebay vendors ship to china. If you have a paint store or home center I am sure they would have it. This is tough asking mainly USA members here. We go to nearest Lowes and we have it. Paint stores are all over the place here too.

jick wu

It is not sold out on Amazon in the USA. It is more expensive than a Lowes home center or even Ebay. Not sure if ebay vendors ship to china. If you have a paint store or home center I am sure they would have it. This is tough asking mainly USA members here. We go to nearest Lowes and we have it. Paint stores are all over the place here too.
Thank you very much for your information, but the US Amazon I browsed is out of stock and I haven't seen other sellers selling the same products. Yes, this is a paint category. It's a bit troublesome to ship to China. I need to find a suitable carrier to ship it. , I know many pipe craftsmen who sell ebonite in China need this product, if the price is right, I need a lot.

jick wu

Thank you John, this information is so helpful, I will contact sellers that can be sent to China, I will ask for a lot, thank you again!

penicillin

Another point I would like to make is that MINWAX Tung Oil Finish is not food grade finish. If these are smoking pipes that people put in their mouths and burn tobacco or something else in them, then it would not be a good choice of finish from a toxicity point of view.

jick wu

Another point I would like to make is that MINWAX Tung Oil Finish is not food grade finish. If these are smoking pipes that people put in their mouths and burn tobacco or something else in them, then it would not be a good choice of finish from a toxicity point of view.
Your concern is justified. I also smoke a pipe. There is basically no temperature on the outside of the lit pipe. I think this will not release toxic substances.

penicillin

Your concern is justified. I also smoke a pipe. There is basically no temperature on the outside of the lit pipe. I think this will not release toxic substances.
You are putting your mouth on a finished surface, where the finish is not food safe. Sure, the finish is fully cured, but why do that when many excellent food safe choices are available?

If you are using the pipe to smoke, then you are already inhaling known toxins and carcinogens. Most smokers know that much. How they compare to whatever toxins may remain in the finish is anyone's guess. I am not a toxicologist, but why add to your existing toxin load?

jttheclockman

I believe most pipe maker use alternate materials for the stem portion and the wood is just the bowl. I use to know a pipe maker at one of my craft shows and that is what he did. He also was a sculptor who can carve those things and make some cool designs. He did a good business but this was also some time ago when smoking was tolerated more.

dogcatcher

Minwax Tung oil finish is an oil/varnish blend... It is an in-the-wood finish and high gloss is not really an option with an oil/varnish blend. 65% mineral spirits 35% split between the linseed oil and the varnish of their choice. You can make your own buy mixing equal amounts of BLO, MS, and varnish.

jttheclockman

Basically Danish Oil.

penicillin

I looked at the safety data sheet (SDS) for the MINWAX Tung Oil Finish and it includes more than just mineral spirits, linseed oil and varnish. It includes MEKO as well as other chemicals I did not recognize.

If you are looking for a food safe varnish oil finish, consider Tried and True Varnish Oil.
https://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/products/varnish-oil/

I used it on this maple and bloodwood box, which was made to hold food ingredients. The photo doesn't do justice to the finish, but it is a delight to the eyes and the touch.

Maple Bloodwood Box.JPG

P.S. Nobody has mentioned it here yet, but PLEASE be sure you properly dispose of the rags and applicators after applying an oil finish, whether MINWAX or any other brand. If you don't, they can reach very high temperatures and catch fire, burning down your shop. I heard rumors that oil finish on rags was the cause of last year's devastating fire at Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. Even if it isn't true, it is still a very realistic scenario. PLEASE be careful and know how to dispose of your materials. Putting them in a jar of water is one good solution.

Last edited:

jick wu

I looked at the safety data sheet (SDS) for the MINWAX Tung Oil Finish and it includes more than just mineral spirits, linseed oil and varnish. It includes MEKO as well as other chemicals I did not recognize.

If you are looking for a food safe varnish oil finish, consider Tried and True Varnish Oil.
https://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/products/varnish-oil/

I used it on this maple and bloodwood box, which was made to hold food ingredients. The photo doesn't do justice to the finish, but it is a delight to the eyes and the touch.

View attachment 309043

P.S. Nobody has mentioned it here yet, but PLEASE be sure you properly dispose of the rags and applicators after applying an oil finish, whether MINWAX or any other brand. If you don't, they can reach very high temperatures and catch fire, burning down your shop. I heard rumors that oil finish on rags was the cause of last year's devastating fire at Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. Even if it isn't true, it is still a very realistic scenario. PLEASE be careful and know how to dispose of your materials. Putting them in a jar of water is one good solution.
Thank you for your suggestion. Something that is harmless and useful to the body is worth trying. I would recommend it to the craftsmen. Of course, it takes a process for them to accept it.

penicillin

Thank you for your suggestion. Something that is harmless and useful to the body is worth trying. I would recommend it to the craftsmen. Of course, it takes a process for them to accept it.
There are many choices of food safe finishes, not only Tried and True. I like Tried and True for food safe projects and baby toys. Because they do not contain chemical solvents that speed evaporation and drying, the food safe finishes can take longer to cure, which may be a consideration. Tried and True recommends a 24 hour cure between applications, so a three-coat finish can take 3 or 4 days to complete.

As I suggested above, many people make their own excellent finishes. Perhaps your friends would consider the idea of coming up with their own "Secret, Pipe Safe and Food Safe Formula" where the "Outer Finish Contains No Toxic Chemicals, Unlike Other Pipe Makers". You know your customers better than I do. I am sure you will find the best answer for your needs.

Top Bottom