Finally!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

This Atrax in thula burl was one of those pens that you almost give up on. One of the first tubes blew out. I cut a new blank and started again. With more careful turning they were turned nicely. The finish was an issue as new potholes kept appearing. When the surface was smooth a dull spot appeared when polishing with one step (twice!). I guess I'm stubborn and got the finish right today. While assembling the pen I found I was missing a trim ring. Several searches of the shop left me frustrated. After an hour a glint in one of the concrete expansion recesses was the missing ring. Whew! Never give up.

I may charge more for it...

Attachments

• 75129E02-D314-4ABA-93AA-9F0BBCE5EE34.jpg
    75129E02-D314-4ABA-93AA-9F0BBCE5EE34.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

Good news. The Gallery n Gifts where I sell my pens and woodworks has 33 artists and they can be my best customers as well as great salespeople. Next to me they know the most about my pens and other products because they ask questions and remember the answers. Today when I brought in the Atrax Thula burl it sold to a gallery artist in minutes. Add to that two others working today bought a bolt in bocote and a thula burl Sierra.

Nice day I'd say.

I've hade more trouble with Thuya burl blowing out than any other wood, it doesn't like to be turned thin IME. You're perseverance paid off with a beautiful pen. Well done.

Top Bottom