Finally pulled the trigger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Humongous

Humongous

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Nova G3 30th anniversary bundle from tools plus. Great price, $138 and free shipping cinched it for me. Shout out to Tools Plus for the fast shipping during these times, got here in 3 days.

Now how to test it? I have never done bowl turning so that should be a good test. Glued up some oak and turned this. Not bad for a trial run, really happy with the chuck. Maybe some more bowls in my future
20200403_133834.jpg
20200409_141954.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IndySC

Nice pickup. I got the same delivered just yesterday. My instruction sheet is still stuck to the top of the case will all the oil caked on them lol.

That is a nice bundle and was a good price.... I would like to have one of the single key type chucks... mine all have the tommy bars.... I have 5 of PSI's Barracuda's and one Grizzly in same design so I don't have to change jaws so often. The Grizzy looks just like the Barracudas but the jaws don't interchange and they don't open quite as far as PSI's.... I'm so used to them by now, not much sense in changing.

MTViper

Good pickup and nice bowl, especially for a first effort. I have 4 SN-2 chucks for my Jet 1642 and a G3 for my Turncrafter 10. You will get a lot of good use out of that and will really enjoy using it. One word of caution - read the enclosed literature. There is a chart in the manual that tells maximum recommended speed for turning when using the chuck. This is especially important when turning without the tailstock up. Had a friend who had a big bowl split and come off the chuck. Broke every bone in his face. Now he has a titanium face ... and a hockey helmet/mask with a clear visor inside the cage. The literature will also tell you what size each set of jaws will hold so you know what size tenon or recess to make so your bowl holds tightly. If you're going to turn bowls, I'd also recommend a set of Cole Jaws for reverse turning to clean up the bottom. Good luck with it.

second the cole jaws... you definitely will need something to hold the bowl in reverse to clean it up.... I have a set of cole jaws on a dedicated chuck for any bowl under 8", also have a set of cole jaw extensions that will take up to about a 16" bowl, but have to spin the head stock 45 degrees to use them and the banjo extension to move the tool rest out around them.... mostly now I use a vacuum pump and vacuum chuck to do bigger bowls.

Top Bottom