Finally pulled the trigger....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bigj51

Well today I finally did it. I pulled the trigger and ordered myself a new lathe. I ordered the JET JML 1014VSI 10-Inch-by-14-Inch Variable Speed Indexing Mini Lathe. I have been using a Carba-Tec Model CML4SE that I bought from Penn State 9-10 years ago. Only 1/4 hp with a 6" swing, so the Jet with a 1/2 hp and a 10" swing will be a big power and size improvement for me. I've been needing to upgrade for a while now and want a good mini lathe, especially since I want to venture into kitless. Every review that I have read on this lathe has been positive, so I hope I made a good choice! The pest price I found on this odel was on Amazon for $477.99. With taxes and shipping my order came to $521.74. Heres the kicker.... I got 1 day shipping for $3.99! :bulgy-eyes: Order is scheduled to be delivered this Friday. I am so very excited! :laugh: So do y'all think I got a good deal?

The Carba-Tec is a #1 MT so I am moving up a size to a #2 MT. What are the big differences/improvements on running a #2 over a #1?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

You will find accessories more readily available in #2 morse taper.
I had a Jet mini and loved it! Whisper quiet and smooth running. If it had been the variable spped model like you ordered I might still have it. I'm sure you will be very happy with it!

I HAVE THIS ONE MINUS THE INDEXING.TO BAD ABOUT THE INDEXING.I ENJOY MINE VERY WELL.HOPE YOU WILL ENJOY YOUR'S AS MUCH AND MORE. DID PUT IN A REVERSING SWITCH.ALSO PUT A FLAP OVER IT HOPING IT WILL REMIND ME NOT TO REVERSE WHILE RUNING.BURNS OUT THE POWER CONTROL BOARD.

Sgtralph

strong enough for bat blanks?

Im considering purchasing the same lathe and the extension bed accessory. Any idea if 1/2 hp is strong enough to turn baseball bats on?

KenV

Im considering purchasing the same lathe and the extension bed accessory. Any idea if 1/2 hp is strong enough to turn baseball bats on?

Have one as well as a big lathe. If you are doing a bat or so, you will do ok. If you are doing several, you will wish for the power to waste wood quickly.

Keep the tool edges super sharp.

Sgtralph

Have one as well as a big lathe. If you are doing a bat or so, you will do ok. If you are doing several, you will wish for the power to waste wood quickly.

Keep the tool edges super sharp.

I appreciate the response. Maybe I should just hold off until I can get a Delta 46-460. I think I'll need the extra hp.
Thanks.
Ralph

Bigj51

A picture of it all set up. Oh it is a joy to use!

image-1210022225.jpg

image-1335073272.jpg

Top Bottom