FINALLY, new lathe photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Actually, I got it a couple weeks ago (don't tell Roy!) I had to order some things and do a couple mods to get it in running condition before I packed up my other lathe for him.

Here are some pics...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a quick lock carriage stop that I made from some plans at Swarfrat.com, the plans were for a 7x10 mini lathe so I tweaked them a bit...
attachment.php

Here it is with a DI installed...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's the DRO I installed on the cross slide..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's one of my new spindle crank handle, I do alot of threading and tapping using taps and dies and this handle is a lifesaver!

attachment.php

This is the main reason I had to keep my other lathe running. I put an AXA wedge type QCTP on and the mounting was completely different. It came with a piece of steel that you have to machine to fit in a slot. Well, my lathe doesn't have a slot, it has a post. I had to remove this post

attachment.php

This is a 10mm post and the one on the new QCTP was 9/16" so the first thing I did was drill a bigger hole in the compound. Then I turnd down the new piece to fit in the recess under the compound and put a pin in it. Now I have a MUCH stiffer tool rest.!:biggrin:

I hope you enjoyed the pics!

Attachments

• lathe 001.jpg
    lathe 001.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2,924
  • lathe 002.jpg
    lathe 002.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 2,079
  • lathe 003.jpg
    lathe 003.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 3,176
  • lathe 004.jpg
    lathe 004.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 2,609
  • lathe 005.jpg
    lathe 005.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,937
  • lathe 006.jpg
    lathe 006.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,969
  • lathe 007.jpg
    lathe 007.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 5,722
  • lathe 008.jpg
    lathe 008.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,269
  • lathe 009.jpg
    lathe 009.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,177
  • lathe 010.jpg
    lathe 010.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,850
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nice Rick. I had no idea that South Bend were still in existance, but probably only because I hadn't seen a 'modern' lathe from them.
Are you going to add a coolant system? If you do then you will have to make a bigger drip tray and a backsplash.
Is that chuck mount, one of those that can be very finely and accurately adjusted?

I really like the bench too!!:biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:RockOn::bananen_smilies039: Rick thank you so much but our oringnal deal would have been fine, this is way ..........

Oh now I see you meant don't tell me you've had it for a while:mad-tongue:
Oh well it wouldn't have fit anyway....:rolleyes::biggrin:

All kidding aside that is one nice set up you have I wish you many years of playtime on it...

rherrell

Very nice Rick. I had no idea that South Bend were still in existance, but probably only because I hadn't seen a 'modern' lathe from them.
Are you going to add a coolant system? If you do then you will have to make a bigger drip tray and a backsplash.
Is that chuck mount, one of those that can be very finely and accurately adjusted?

I really like the bench too!!:biggrin:

Grizzly bought them out Steven, they're made in China now but it sure doesn't look it. I REALLY inspected it and the fit and finish is excellent.
It's quiet as a mouse and accurate as heck.
The chuck mount is a standard D1-3 camlock, I think you're thinking of a SET-TRU chuck...$$$$$$$$$! I wish but no.

No plans for a coolant system, just a paint brush and a bucket of oil!:biggrin:

wiset1

I felt good about my 7x16 micro-mark, but now I'm drooling over this. I feel like such a turd...I haven't even done the break in for the new machine and I'm already wanting yours, ha ha ha. Awesome looking machine!

BigShed

Very nice looking lathe, like the EVS.

I would struggle to justify paying that sort of money for a lathe with those specs though, especially because it doesn't have a camlock on the tailstock. I find that really surprising.

Top Bottom