Finally Got the Lighting Right

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

I was finally able to take pics with my iPhone that showed dark-grained wood.

Photo1 is a full length shot of a custom 1 piece BHW StreamLine Round Top 7mm in Black Titanium. In addition to being a 1 piece, the barrel is oversized, being 0.485 " in diameter at the center of the wood barrel. It has a flared writing tip at the nib. The wood is Mecassar Ebony. Finish is 2 coats Myland's Sanding Sealer, buffed between coats wit Mirlon Tan, followed by 3 coats Mylands Friction Polish, buffed between coats, and after the final coat with Mirlon Tan. Photos 2 thru 5 are views of different portions of the pen showing off the reddish grain common to this species of wood.

Thanks for your help on finishing techniques; thanks for looking. Your comments are always appreciated.

Attachments

• 1PcComfortWriter1.jpg
    1PcComfortWriter1.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 1PcComfortWriter2.jpg
    1PcComfortWriter2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 1PcComfortWriter3.jpg
    1PcComfortWriter3.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 231
  • 1PcComfortWriter4.jpg
    1PcComfortWriter4.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 1PcComfortWriter5.jpg
    1PcComfortWriter5.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

Looks great - very deep, rich-looking grain!

How do you like the Mylands' finish, now that you've tried it a time or two?

DrD

Looks great - very deep, rich-looking grain!

How do you like the Mylands' finish, now that you've tried it a time or two?
I like the Myland's Friction Polish a lot. It does darken the wood a bit more than I would like it to. I think for the darker woods, I'll use Pens Plus, as it doesn't seem to darken the wood as much as Myland's..

I have a Cherry bandsaw box I'm wrapping up and I'm leaning to the Myland's for it as well - but not at all sure about the friction aspect - may have to drag out some old buffing wheels.

Thanks for the comments.

Don

Aces-High

If you are working towards better pictures, I suggest getting a gradient background/backdrop and an actual photo light. Lighting is everything!

Reactions: DrD

DrD

Thanks Jason. I have a light box from Flashery but no place to keep it set up without getting in the way. Thus, I don't use it as frequently as I should.

Stakhaus

I was finally able to take pics with my iPhone that showed dark-grained wood.

Photo1 is a full length shot of a custom 1 piece BHW StreamLine Round Top 7mm in Black Titanium. In addition to being a 1 piece, the barrel is oversized, being 0.485 " in diameter at the center of the wood barrel. It has a flared writing tip at the nib. The wood is Mecassar Ebony. Finish is 2 coats Myland's Sanding Sealer, buffed between coats wit Mirlon Tan, followed by 3 coats Mylands Friction Polish, buffed between coats, and after the final coat with Mirlon Tan. Photos 2 thru 5 are views of different portions of the pen showing off the reddish grain common to this species of wood.

Thanks for your help on finishing techniques; thanks for looking. Your comments are always appreciated.
Beautiful @DrD love it.

Reactions: DrD
Top Bottom