Finally got a website-now loads faster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

My 15 year old son built this site for me. It has gone through a few iterations since he first did it, but I'm fairly pleased with it right now. Take a look and if you have any suggestions or see any typos, let me know.
Thanks for looking and especially for any comments or thoughts.

July 6 - I made some changes and it now loads a lot faster for those who were having trouble or getting bored waiting.[|)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turnitall

Nice smooth design... Your son is to be congratulated on a nicely designed site.
BUT, you images are way too too big... two of the ones I clicked on were 2300 pixels wide... you don't need any more than 800 pixels wide for any website... not only that but even on my fast broadband system they load slowly because of the size... the thumbnails are also too large they seem to average 500000 bytes... way too big...
I suggest you use a smaller image of the pen for the thumbnail and then a separate larger image to link to. That way they will load faster.

gerryr

I don't understand the problem you're having with the pictures. When I look at it the three photos on the home page are 230 pixels wide. I'll talk to my son about it.

LanceD

Gerry, just a couple of things I noticed. First, on the pencils section on the last sentence you have "which is available in different colors are art supply stores". You probably meant "at art supply stores".

Second on the Artist Sketch you wrote "It comes with three extra leads to keep you sketching for a long time". It may sound a little better if you said " It comes with three extra lead refills to keep you sketching for a long time"

Hope you didn't mind my suggestions.

Lance

M

Mudder

Gerry,

Your site looks really nice and your son did a fantastic job.
The only thing I noticed and I'll try it from home to confirm is that the pictures seem to be slow to load. It seems that he is compressing large pictures into a smaller window and that may be causing a problem.

gerryr

Scott,
Thanks, I am going to be replacing all the photos with smaller ones. They are too big which is my fault for giving him files that are too big.[B)]

jb_pratt

Gerry,

For a 15 year old kid he did an excellent job. I do have a number of comments and don’t take this as me taking shots at your son, this just happens to be what I do as part of my profession. Here are a few random comments.

1. The spacing between the elements in your primary navigation are not equal.

2. The third element on the primary navigation “Rollerball Pens†is longer than the image that sits behind it, I would recommend having the words stack on top of each other as opposed to spanning and spilling over the background image.

3. The alignment justification on the words in the navigation elements are inconsistent. For example the element “Links†is centered horizontally and vertically, but the element for “Pencils†is almost centered horizontally and it is top justified vertically.

4. Once you get into some of the secondary pages, the spacing on the navigation elements completely blows up. Particularly on the “about the artist†page, something with primary image is messing up the nav.

5. I’m sure you and your son are aware that the font of the primary navigation elements are different point sizes, in web design this is strongly recommended against. You would be better off choosing a single font size that would work universally across all the primary nav elements.

6. Another suggestion to help with the navigation is you could have one primary navigation element for “Pens†then with a mouse over have a secondary navigation for “Rollerballâ€, “Fountainâ€, and “Ballpointâ€. This would also help with some of the long text as mentioned above and with the point size issue.

7. One other thing I would do is I noticed that you are using paypal for your shopping cart; nothing wrong with that. I would give the potential customer an option to contact you on the order page before you get sent off to paypal. The reason for this is if someone is getting ready to drop $60+ on a pen they may want to ask you a question about it. I would have a button to add to the shopping cart and somewhere on that page a place for them to request more information or simply your contact info. The only place I was able to find your contact info was on the “About the Artist†page. Don’t make a potential customer have to struggle to contact you. You could solve this by putting a contact us link in the footer.

8. One last thought on your shopping cart and use of paypal. The current implementation is simply to open a new window to paypal. From a usability perspective it’s not the best experience. If I wanted to hit the back button on my browser and add another item I can not. I would at the very least try to incorporate the functionality of the shopping cart into an I-frame within your site and not lose control of the user experience.

gerryr

JB,
Thanks for the input and I don't consider it "taking shots" at my son. One of the things on his "to do" list is the nav buttons. He used a table to set them up so the spacing ends up different on every page. He says he's going to re-write the menu so the spacing stays the same on every page. He doesn't really know Javascript, so he's somewhat limited because of that.

Turnitall

Gerry, it loads a lot quicker, but the images that you link to are still way too big...
I just looked at a couple of them and they are over 1500 pixels wide... you don't need images any larger than 800 pixels wide...
If you make those images all 800 pixels wide they will be load even faster and look clearer.
Good job so far... the worst part of making a site is the never ending tweaking you have to do.

Ron Mc

Gerry,
Your son is doing great! One question.
Are you planning on keeping this an alias site to the other one? Or, are you going to do it the other way around? The only reason I bring this up is that the search engine spiders will have a hard time with this particular site since the other one has the tags. Just something to ponder.[:eek:)]

gerryr

I'll work on making the other photos smaller, good thing that it has been a really slow week at work.

Ron, this will eventually be the only site, the original one will go away. I'll need to talk to someone about the search engines-way beyond me.

Stevej72

Hey Gerry! Your son did a great job on your website. I need to get to work on my site as it needs a lot of work. On your links page the Pen Trace link doesn't seem to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom