Finally getting the hang of this CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Here is a clicker using Tambooti and a piece of Australian Rose Myrtle on copper Jr. Gent.

I find the long pens are hardest as keeping the coats of CA even along such a long piece is very tricky. Starting with a coat of BLO and using accelerator between coats has helped. Takes a lot of CA though, I thought one bottle would last me and I'm maybe getting 5 or 6 pens out a 20z bottle!

Attachments

• IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_5936.jpg
    IMG_5936.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Looking good Stephen. I started doing the CA finish maybe 6 years ago and find that I still am evolving the process. I truly is a learning curve and takes time to perfect. Just today I had to remove the finish twice and re-apply to get it just as I wanted it. I don't understand how it is taking as much CA as you indicated but, without being there, there is certainly a reason I am not getting. If you haven't already, look around here. There are several guys and gals doing a CA finish and lots of ways to achieve the beautiful and durable finish we strive for. You are well on your way.
WB

kludge77

Your results are great, but over 3oz of CA per pen! Dude, I think you might be over doing it. What is your method?

Here's my method, (I know there are a lot). But I'm only using about 7-10 drops per pen. Again, it looks great, but maybe we can save you some coin!

lorbay

Your results are great, but over 3oz of CA per pen! Dude, I think you might be over doing it. What is your method?

Here's my method, (I know there are a lot). But I'm only using about 7-10 drops per pen. Again, it looks great, but maybe we can save you some coin!

I think he meant 2 oz for the 5 - 6 pens.

Lin.

JimB

I think he meant 2 oz for the 5 - 6 pens.

Lin.

That's still a lot of CA. I'm going to guess he is using thin CA and paper towel and most of it is getting absorbed into the paper towel.

kludge77

obviously. I wasn't thinking. I've never even seen more than 16 oz.

Still, 2oz should go a LOT further than that.

Top Bottom