Finally finished me Froe !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from howsitwork

howsitwork

This maybe a bit different to our normal fare ….

Well having sanded the ends Inam now happy with my new Froe . Bought the forging a few months back and , as I intend to use it for log splitting before hand axing fitted a 20" ash handle. It spent. few weeks sitting there as I got round to oiling it .
1D11C088-B044-43C4-8C5F-43023125E64B.jpeg
1FE26514-CDEF-489C-87BB-2F694250D1A8.jpeg
upper shot gives a better image of the edge . I might have ground it a bit too sharp to be honest as it's a wedge splitting tool but we shall see. Due to be used next weekend at the North Yorkshire Bodgers green woodworking group. I hope the pole lather work will help adjust my waist to a slightly better shape 🙏

mdburn_em

That's a pretty froe and I like the handle. Mine is very old and somewhat pitted. I don't know if it's rust or just from the forge. I doesn't look like rust pitting, I think it was just very rough metal that the smith didn't bother to clean up.
It came with a handle but I have a hard time keeping it in place. Perhaps I need to give something like yours a go. Is your eye round? Mine is more of a tear-drop shape.
Is this the weekend you are going to give it a workout?

howsitwork

yup
Got a few good blows in splitting some ash , which it did beautifully with one or two mallet blows. Then the Cherry which had dried somewhat and had some figure and knots in. Well that took some heavy mallet work and a timber wedge to help but it worked,

The eye is a lovely tapered round one and the forging (and the steel its made from ) are excellent. It had a load of scale on from the forging as received but a session and 2 x 60 grit flap wheels worked wonders. It's suc( a substantial forged blade I didn't need to stop for long whist linishing it up !

We spent most of the day felling a medium ash tree , logging and extracting it from the wood back to our bridging site. Used muscles that aint been used for a while but the students will appreciate the fresh timber so well worth it.

Top Bottom