Finally... a pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

Seems I've been turning a lot of boxes and ornaments the last few months but no pens. I finally got around to making one today, a Majestic Jr FP with TruStone "white with black web" blank. The blank turned easily albeit very slowly. I didn't get quite the totally scratch free shine I usually do, but I'm still happy with it. All comments good or bad welcome. And a special thanks to those who responed so quickly to my other post about backpainting the blank, there was no need to and that meant I could turn it today.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A beautiful pen Jay. I rarely stray from my little wooden sticks, but did so last month.

Your finish looks/sounds like the recent letter openers I turned with trustone. Each came out just fine, but the finish is just "different."

While I have very minute scratches, nothing that the plain eye will see, there are slight high and low spots. Its not out-of-round, just a grain-like effect. I believe these are related to different densities in the colored sections and the webbing. It feels like a wood-grain effect.

I am perfectly happy with mine, but the finished feel is curious. Maybe others can shed some light.

I turned with carbide, wet sanded with abranet 320-600, then wet sanded with micromesh to 12 K, then applied Mcquires's Plastik Polish. Wiped clean between each grit. I'm pleased with the finish, but still has a slight texture to it.

Thanks for the kind replies. This was my first TruStone blank but I'll be making another before Christmas.

A beautiful pen Jay. I rarely stray from my little wooden sticks, but did so last month.

Your finish looks/sounds like the recent letter openers I turned with trustone. Each came out just fine, but the finish is just "different."

While I have very minute scratches, nothing that the plain eye will see, there are slight high and low spots. Its not out-of-round, just a grain-like effect. I believe these are related to different densities in the colored sections and the webbing. It feels like a wood-grain effect.

I am perfectly happy with mine, but the finished feel is curious. Maybe others can shed some light.

I turned with carbide, wet sanded with abranet 320-600, then wet sanded with micromesh to 12 K, then applied Mcquires's Plastik Polish. Wiped clean between each grit. I'm pleased with the finish, but still has a slight texture to it.

The way you described it nails my experience exactly. I get the feeling the black webbing is a different density from the larger white patches. I finished the blank just like you only I used Novus, then buffed with blue rouge. It has a nice shine, but under close examination (I use a 10x magnifying glass) the "rippled" effect becomes more obvious.

TonyL

Very nice pen! I had a similar experience with the blue TS. All one color basically, but less than "perfect" nonetheless.

A great looking pen!! It's always fun and sometimes nerve wracking to try new material. Great job.

Thank you, and I couldn't agree more. This wasn't anywhere near as tough as I expected so it was fun, unlike my first couple times turning inlace acrylester, which was nerve wracking...

Top Bottom