Filling Worm Holes???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Just curious how everyone handles small worm holes in their blanks. I had some Mexican Cocobolo tonight that had a few holes in it. I filled the holes with a paste I made from CA and shavings from turning the blank. Sanded down and then applied CA over it. It worked but is noticable. Thought about just filling with CA. How do you all deal with small holes or imperfections?

Seven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

I sometimes fill them with something that will offer a blatant contrast to the material I'm patching. You can do that with darker sanding dust (Walnut for example) when patching lighter colored woods or light dust when patching darker woods...

Inlace offers some cool alternatives as well so cracks, holes, etc look like they're filled with turquoise, etc...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Crushed coral, stone, etc in a contrasting color.

Lots of stuff available from the vendors. Simply apply with CA or your preference.

Good luck.

Gary Beasley

I think it's pretty cool to just fill with thick CA if it doesn't go all the way to the brass. The magnifying effect of the clear resin surface brings the color of the wood up yet you can peer into the hole.

jsolie

I've filled them with CA, brass filings + CA, and left them alone. One time it was all three in the same piece, since they were pretty big worm holes. I like the idea of charcoal and epoxy.

Top Bottom