Filling in holes....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jakoop

So, the green stabilized buckeye burl I had had 2 "holes" in it. One I could see before I began turning and I thought it might go away as I turned the blank down. The other appeared after I started turning. Now I am new to all this but I think I remember reading about putting the turning dust in the hole, which I did. Then I put Thick CA glue on it. It didn't hold very well. So then I tried again using thin CA glue and it seemed to hold better. The top picture, part of the hole went all the was to the brass. Not sure why it is black? Is there a different way to fix these holes? I still like the way it turned out, and my daughter will love it for her Christmas gift.

Thanks for any advice and Happy Thanksgiving

IMG_20191127_130433.jpg

IMG_20191127_130427.jpg

IMG_20191127_130457.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jakoop

Dang! Now I just noticed it has a crack in it! Curse my old eyes! Next question, can I put a little CA glue there??

bsshog40

Good chance it cracked while pressing. Sometimes if the upper cap or even the tip, if off center a little and forced on, it will crack the finish and/or the actual blank. As for the dark spot in your fill, looks like more CA than dust. I usually fill voids with Med CA. You can mix the dust better and still have a little bit of time to work it.

Dale Allen

I have found that using a q-tip and thin CA you can direct the glue to specific spots. You can try dabbing a little on the crack but be careful not to get it on the hardware. If you can fill the crack you can then tape off the hardware and try sanding and polishing the area you filled. You may also be able to remove the hardware and repair it but that is a more difficult process.

KLJ

I have used coffee grounds with CA glue as well as the sanding dust. The coffee looks like a not in the wood. I fill it higher than the blank and sand or turn it down that seems to give it a smooth finish. I don't know why yours turned black.

David350

As far as the crack, another common cause of this is having a bit of your glue (epoxy / CA) on the inside of your brass tube from your blank glue-up step. Some people plug the end of their brass tube opposite the end that the insertion tube occupies with modeling clay, etc. I just make sure I completely clean it out any stray glue with an exacto knife before pressing parts together. You would be surprised how little it takes inside the brass tube to create a crack when pressing parts together.

As far as the hole, if I understand you correctly, you placed sanding dust in the hole then topped it with CA? I take the turning dust and mix it with my 2 part epoxy (you could also use CA), and make a nice paste with it prior to inserting it into the hole. I would also take an exacto knife and clean out any loose debris in the hole and then blow it out with compressed air. As you are making your glue / dust paste, you can alter the color of your paste by adding more / less of the dust, or by adding a lighter or darker color dust you have saved up, so that you can get a color that is appealing to you before you plug the hole. Once you plug the hole, be sure to allow sufficient time for the glue to cure before sanding down. Hope this helps....

Top Bottom