File Handles...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MattTheHat

MattTheHat

I need to make a whole mess of these, but this one will have to do for tonight.

The ferrules were some threaded brass gas fittings I had left over from making some specialized RF connectors last year. They're less than ideal for this use as the deep threads cut through quite easily if a lot of material needs to be removed.

The inlay material is some TruStone "Sugi with Black" chips from a couple of pens I did a few weeks back. The chips were a bit too large and left a couple of gaps that I didn't notice until it was too late. I'll get some proper inlay powder before I do this again.

Not perfect by any means, but I keep telling myself it's just a file handle after all. :)

-Matt

Attachments

• filehandle.jpg
    filehandle.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 429
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Matt, it may be just a file handle, but it is a file handle that you made. And as such, it's going to have your name attached to it as the one who made it. It looks fine if it's something that you made for your own use, but I don't think that you should try to sell them if they're not up to par.
Len

Justturnin

I'm sorry but I am struggling w/ this "not good enough" idea. That thing is awesome. Just great work all the way around. For my ferrules I use a 3/4" Copper Cap and drill a hole through the center to cover any exposed end grain.

MattTheHat

what's that finial i see on there? is that your logo or something?

The finial bit is a 3/8" mosaic pin with a smaller mosaic pin sleeved inside. Knife makers often use them to attach knife scales.

I'm sorry but I am struggling w/ this "not good enough" idea. That thing is awesome. Just great work all the way around. For my ferrules I use a 3/4" Copper Cap and drill a hole through the center to cover any exposed end grain.

You flatter me sir. :) I'm pretty happy with the way it came out, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist which will drive a guy crazy if you let it.

The plan when I started was pretty much what you mentioned, but I didn't have any copper end caps. I saw the brass fittings and decided to use them to save a trip to Lowe's. Time wise I'd have been much better off going to Lowe's. And Home Depot. Twice. Oh well.

-Matt

Last edited:

The Penguin

since you are not pleased with it, please package it up and send it down to Houston...I'll put it to good use.

:biggrin:

hewunch

I avoided looking at this tread because of the title, was that ever a mistake. That is a beaut!

MattTheHat

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been wanting to make some file handles for a while now, but like everyone else I'm sure, there's always something more important to do.

I'm not sure what the wood was. It came to me in a big package blank deal off Craigslist. Sure is pretty, though. Smells kind of sweet when turning too. The down side is that my metal lathe doesn't like all that saw dust!

-Matt

TerryDowning

Thanks Matt,

Now I have to add file handles to my ever growing list of projects.

Seriously, working with fine tools crafted/modified by yourself to make the custom truly is more enjoyable IMHO. Really nice job, it looks great!

bitshird

I've made tool handles for customers out of a lot of nice exotics, and hundreds out of hickory, but their is ONE handle that stands head and shoulders above any other. It's ine on my Pen Pro, it's a piece of Camphor burl, what makes it special is the wood was given to me by Wolftat (Neil) and a handle you make for your self is always special.

Top Bottom