Fig Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shadoway

Greetings,
I hope this is the appropriate place to post this.
I have a nephew who is a minister/preacher. He is wanting some pens turned from a fig tree that grows in Israel. I'm sure there are biblical references to this tree but I have not been able to find any sources for such a wood and none of my regular suppliers are familiar with it.
Are any of you folks familiar with a source for this wood?
Thanks for any help and have a blessed day.

Steven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

I have pen blanks cut from fig trees but these are grown in our greenhouse. The blanks are just too "plain" to make an interesting pen. I have even tried dyeing the blanks with green food dye and I still do not enjoy the result of the 'look'.

dthayer

Maybe an option would be to find some fig wood anywhere you can and segment it in with Olivewood from Bethlehem.

Talltim

Yep, cause the fig tree was cursed because it produced no fruit... I'd go for the olive wood.. it is so beautiful.

There are many references to the fig in the Bible starting in Genesis. A better reference than the cursing of the fig in Luke would be Micah 4:4

"But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid"

Although not Israel fig here are some Australian. I think it looks pretty good.

https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/collections/pen-blanks/australian-62-fig-tree-wood

Last edited:

Shadoway

Thanks

Thanks, so much, for taking the time to reply guys. I agree that the Olive wood is an excellent and beautiful wood (one of my favorites) but I think it has something to do with the Biblical references why he has requested the fig. The Australian fig wood is interesting, I may try to get some of that in for my own use, but I think it needs to be from the Holy Land to serve his needs.
Thanks again, you guys are great.

Steven

leehljp

Member Liaison
Do a google search for a Bethlehem olive wood supplier in Israel. More than likely, they will have connections with other ""wood" suppliers. This might be profitable for them to sell some other biblical woods.

I did a search some years ago when I was overseas and found two or three BOW suppliers and chatted with one through several emails.

Spinzwood

I've bought Bethlehem Olive pen blanks from Mike Saad (sp?) who advertises on one of the Facebook pen turning pages. Beautiful wood that is cleanly drilled with 7mm hole. He sells a few different grades.. Some is graded as plain.. almost no figuring.. then he has a medium grade with a fair amount of figuring and then a premium grade.. which is awesome.

Anyhow, check him out.. He is responsive to FB messages.

robutacion

Yep, cause the fig tree was cursed because it produced no fruit... I'd go for the olive wood.. it is so beautiful.

There are many references to the fig in the Bible starting in Genesis. A better reference than the cursing of the fig in Luke would be Micah 4:4

"But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid"

Although not Israel fig here are some Australian. I think it looks pretty good.

https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/collections/pen-blanks/australian-62-fig-tree-wood

Yes, regular Fig tree wood is mostly plain light yellow/beige however, some Fig trees can spalt and that is what happened with the main trunk of the fig tree used on those Resifills that cracked like if it was no tomorrow but in between the cracks, I manage to process a few clean full-size pen blanks and those are what this listing is about.

Your request for Holy Fig tree wood may be possible but that is not what I have to offer, the same issue goes for the Olivewood, I have plenty not grown in The Holy land but in "Holy" Australia, sorry...!:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom