FiberTip Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rixstix

rixstix

Finally happy with the mechanics. Finish needs a bit of work. Photo quality needs a lot of work.

Acrylic blank and section
Copper ball roll stop
Fiber tip uses International Standard Fountain Cartridges or converter

QC&C welcome and appreciated

LegionairreFiberOpen2.jpeg

LegionairreFiber2.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Very cool. How do you find the durability of those fiber tips?
So far, so good. My wife has been using my 1st one (psi kit) as her daily writer for 3 months or so without a hiccup. Neither of us has tried a drop test yet.

I just received a different brand that rattled around in the retail package unprotected & it looked like a mini feather duster upon arrival. It is the tip with feedfins, so will require a bit more work & might end up as an experiment with no future.

magpens

@rixstix

Nice going ! ! . I very much like what you have done ! ! It's a huge improvement, aesthetically, over the PSI kit . . . IMHO !
Of course, you need not have made any reference to the PSI kit as your starting point . . . all you need is the felt tip.

The separate black section is a beautiful complement to the barrel material that you have used.

Now, when making that as a kitless, is there anything different you have to do from making any other kitless ?

I am also wondering if one can buy similar tips from any source other than PSI, and, if so, the choice of tip could obviously influence the kitless design.
I haven't previously come across a fiber tipped pen which is fed by a FP cartridge or converter.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Looks really good Rick. I like the blank choice, as well as the shape and proportions.
One note. Is the cap slightly canted or is it the photo. I ask, because I had a similar issue with my Lewis in development. It turned out to be a very slight cant to my aluminum mandrel. Using triple threads, it was straight on one thread, but canted on the other two.
When I saw that my section mandrel was doing the same thing, I ended up remaking all my mandrels using brass.

rixstix

@rixstix

Nice going ! ! . I very much like what you have done ! ! It's a huge improvement, aesthetically, over the PSI kit . . . IMHO !
Of course, you need not have made any reference to the PSI kit as your starting point . . . all you need is the felt tip.

The separate black section is a beautiful complement to the barrel material that you have used.

Now, when making that as a kitless, is there anything different you have to do from making any other kitless ?

I am also wondering if one can buy similar tips from any source other than PSI, and, if so, the choice of tip could obviously influence the kitless design.
I haven't previously come across a fiber tipped pen which is fed by a FP cartridge or converter.
Hi Mal,

TNX for the comments and questions.

Nothing significantly different making this. Just changes to the threading/length to accept this particular fiber tip instead of fountain pen nib/feed.

I have looked for and at other fiber tips and have only found 1 that might work for me but I am not sure my current skill level and tooling will work to fabricate a feed housing that doesn't leak.

rixstix

Looks really good Rick. I like the blank choice, as well as the shape and proportions.
One note. Is the cap slightly canted or is it the photo. I ask, because I had a similar issue with my Lewis in development. It turned out to be a very slight cant to my aluminum mandrel. Using triple threads, it was straight on one thread, but canted on the other two.
When I saw that my section mandrel was doing the same thing, I ended up remaking all my mandrels using brass.
Hi Darrin,

I think it is the photo and a slightly skewed blank. I haven't made the mandrels yet and I am working with single start dies/taps.

I did have an issue earlier in the process when I found a significant part of my problem to be caused by using drills from a low quality set. A majority of drills in the set were not round, not straight and some combination of out of round and bent. Thanks to a suggestion from @rherrell , I now have a good set that are straight, round and Razer SHARP.

Top Bottom