Fiberglass ladders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Can they be stored in a hot humid garage... forsee any issues? Reason for fiberglass... I'm looking at 5' Louisville that weighs 15lbs. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I have no personal experience with the temperature and humidity levels in your area; however, although fiberglass reinforced ladders can absorb some moisture they will never absorb nearly as much as wood. Fiberglass will break down if they are exposed to a prolonged outdoor environment and yes temperature and humidity are factors, but I think the highest degree of degradation would be from constant exposure to high solar ultraviolet (UV) radiation. UV causes fiber bloom but only after years of outdoor exposure. The condition is caused when the plastic and resin gets damaged and the glass fibers become exposed. Although the condition is aesthetic it typically doesn't affect the strength of the ladder.

The best case of course is to store fiberglass indoors to avoid constant UV exposure and also out of extreme heat and wet weather (i.e. rain - not necessarily high humidity). Most ladders degrade more from physical damage when abrasive surfaces rub against the fiberglass - like vehicle roof racks that don't have some kind of padding. Surface damage can accelerate fiber bloom.

With all of the technical mumbo-jumbo said, I think you will likely be fine storing it in a garage for years and years. Fiberglass ladders are the ladder of choice for most construction and heavy industry because of their strength, durability, and non-conductive nature.

Ok - time for me to shut up now.
Enjoy your new ladder.

Dave

d_bondi

I know you noted you were looking at a 5' ladder.

But I wanted to add one thing to what Dave noted above... Look at weight class (Type). Many consumer ladders are only Type II, rated to 225lbs. That weight includes you and anything you are carrying, holding, supporting. My experience with ladders is that in the 6' range this is okay for most homeowners.

BUT... beware of Type II 8' ladders, for some reason, they are just unstable compared to their heavier duty Type IA big brothers. How do I know? Well, for starters I have one. And I am always making sure that it is set up properly, on level and stable ground, that the spreaders are locked, etc... It is usable, but if you have ever worked on a Type IA, and use one of these, you will know what I am talking about.

Ladder safety is a real issue, especially around home. Never use a step ladder by leaning it against something. Never use one without the spreaders locked in place. Never stand on the back side of one (unless it is a mechanics ladder made for that). Always keep 3 points of contact, and your center of mass between the sides, and of course, never use a step above the one marked as highest step.

Sorry for the rant. :cool:

Smokey S

South Texas summer heat is demanding along with our typical,high humidity. For years, I store mine out in the shop. the electrical contractor out at the refinery I worked at(retired) probably had at least 200+ fiberglass ladders just at that one refinery. just saying….. Smokey

bsshog40

I was in cable tv for 20yrs. I was also a ladder and pole climbing instructor. Always had my fiberglass ladders, 28' & 6', on my truck ladder rack. They are pretty durable. Direct heat over the years will fade them some and even cause a little glass fraying here and there. Never has affected the operation of it. I have had the 6 footer I have now for about 10 yrs. I leave it standing against the house for easy access. It's a little faded but still no problems with it. Not sure if the brand matters but I've only owned Werner ladders.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know you noted you were looking at a 5' ladder.
. . .
Sorry for the rant. :cool:
Thank you for the RANT. it is needed. I broke a wrist once for not heeding that advice.

I only have fiberglass ladders now, and heavy duty ones at that.

OPPS, I have two of the HF extension (A Frame) ladders that I have used for 4 ft platform for painting. I was very cautious with them and made dang sure they were not wobbling. I have since bought scaffolding to use instead of A frames for painting. But my near heart attack has put even that on hold.

Last edited:

d_bondi

Thank you for the RANT. it is needed. I broke a wrist once for not heeding that advice.

I only have fiberglass ladders now, and heavy duty ones at that.

OPPS, I have two of the HF extension (A Frame) ladders that I have used for 4 ft platform for painting. I was very cautious with them and made dang sure they were not wobbling. I have since bought scaffolding to use instead of A frames for painting. But my near heart attack has put even that on hold.

Based on the update you just posted, it sounds like things are going well and you will be safely climbing ladders in no time (probably against doctor's orders). But seriously... Take it easy, recovery and your health is the most important things, the rest will wait.

WriteON

Thank you for every post. No such thing as rants.
I ordered the 5' Louisville(250lbs) in fiberglass. I also have a Warner 8foot aluminum. I (try to) concentrate when on a ladder...following the safety rules of usage.

jttheclockman

I have used only Werner 300lbs rated ladders. When I first got in the trades wood ladders were all that was seen on the job. They took a beating. over time now all you see is fiberglass in all sizes. Lighter weight and they do stand abuse from trades.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I wish you well. I just got out of the hospital after 5-days. It's no fun! Do what you must to get well.
Likewise to you Charles. It ain't fun, but it is better than it could be without the hospital. My docs said I could interact on websites and text messages but limit it to 10 minutes with equal amount of rest, or more.

WriteON

I bought this particular ladder based on my needs and it seems to a quality piece. Had no ideas what Type l or ll but learning from the posters here....

Here's the description ...

Louisville 5' Fiberglass Step Ladder with 250 lb. Load Capacity Type I Duty Rating

jttheclockman

I bought this particular ladder based on my needs and it seems to a quality piece. Had no ideas what Type l or ll but learning from the posters here....

Here's the description ...

Louisville 5' Fiberglass Step Ladder with 250 lb. Load Capacity Type I Duty Rating
Louisville Ladders are good ladders also. You will pay a little more for a good ladder but it is worth every penny. I had to pay a little extra because I wanted a 7 foot ladder. They were not easy to find.

derekdd

I've come to the conclusion, if the job requires a ladder taller than a 4-5" stepladder, time to call someone else.

I'm 6'6" and have never been great at roofs and ladders even when younger. Now that I'm in my geezer years, I just don't trust myself on them any longer.

"A man's gotta know his limitations." Harry Callahan

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have had an 8 ft fiberglass ladder bought in 2000 and it is still going strong. I have kept it outside the whole time, but it was under an open shed.

When I was overseas in Japan, I had an aluminum ladder and it was totally different than the ones at Walmart here. Their ladders were quite heavy-duty like you find in a specialty shop over here. I did bring back a 1 meter high, 1 1/2 meter long aluminum platform that I can't find over here. I have had several people wanting to buy it from me. Strong platform type ladders are very helpful for short work spaces where lateral movement is very helpful.

Here is a HF look-alike to mine, except mine is higher, longer and stronger:

jttheclockman

I am currently using platforms like that but way better quality than anything HF has. They are Werner's also and 300 lb rated. I am using them for walls that I have sheet rocked and need to tape and spackle. I put 2 lengthwise with a plywood platform on top gets me to the right height. Having a bad shoulder I need to get as parallel as possible. they work great.

I can't comment on the durability of the fibreglas ladders... I know that the few months I worked at the local Lowe's we sold a lot of them... I did find them a little on the heavy side. I have 5 or 6 ft aluminum ladder that I inherited from either my first wife's ex-husband or from her father... that would have been in 1970.... I still have it, use it pretty regularly, but my shop ladder is one that has a top rail for me to grasp as I climb up.... it only a 4 step step ladder but as I age, I find I'm not so steady on a ladder without the top rail.

Top Bottom