Wanted Festool Domino

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Long shot here, I've started looking into buying a Festool Domino, leaning toward the 700XL. Thought I'd check and see if anyone had one they'd sell, trade etc. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

https://festools-online.com/574447-...MI8aDLho346gIVkYbACh1X2AZEEAQYAyABEgJxbfD_BwE

Now there is a price tag!! Curious what type work are you doing that you need to go into something like this?? Any joinery I have done in the past I used tried and true dowels and there are plenty of jigs for them which are much much cheaper. Also have done many projects using a biscuit and its joiner. Again much cheaper and gets the same results. I have also used blind splines and open or decorative splines for joinery.

southernclay

JT, it is a doozie of a price tag, why I'm hoping used is an option : )

I'm going to do a large dining table with breadboard ends, probably a breakfast table and a bunk bed. The breadboard ends and joinery of the 4x4s is what has me leaning this way. I've got a small dowel jig and kreg jig. Started looking at the Kreg Foreman.......for only $1k more I can get a domino : )

southernclay

The few guys I've talked to that have one love them, I'm a value shopper more than a buy once cry once guy. Not 100% decided on this yet but leaning heavily that way.

HOLY COW!!! Over priced is an understatement. Unless you're a professional cabinet maker there's a lot of other options out there for a seldom used tool. I've got a mortising tool I bought through Grizzly and a tenoning tool that works just great on my table saw. Probably have less than twenty hours on both of them and I made a lot of furniture with them. Combined I've got less than $500.00 in both. Another option might be a good biscuit joining tool, again a lot less. Like JT mentioned, Festool products are way over priced for the average wood worker. I sure can't justify spending that much money on a seldom used tool...unless you get it through a pawn shop:).

DrD

Only tools in my shop that aren't Festool are drill press, band saw, spindle sander and lathe. Did away with cabinet saw, replacing it with TS 70 track saw and Kapex. Never looked back. I've found Domino 500 to be quite versatile as well as ELH 65 hand planer. Expensive? When I'm working with the best tools available, I don't count that as expensive. In terms of used, it is rare to find one for much less than 75% of new price. Given that, I would opt for new.

southernclay

Only tools in my shop that aren't Festool are drill press, band saw, spindle sander and lathe. Did away with cabinet saw, replacing it with TS 70 track saw and Kapex. Never looked back. I've found Domino 500 to be quite versatile as well as ELH 65 hand planer. Expensive? When I'm working with the best tools available, I don't count that as expensive. In terms of used, it is rare to find one for much less than 75% of new price. Given that, I would opt for new.
I've seen a few of their tools on Craigslist and Facebook and they are all in that price range and higher it seems. Honestly that helps me feel like with resale calculated in it isn't as bad as it first appears. Hoping I stumble across a crazy price on one but we'll see. Thanks!

DrD

It is extremely versatile, more so than you would imagine. Once you start using it you'll see that versatility. I used to make furniture and really did not like the screw holes created by my Kreg - I know you can cover them, but they're still screw holes. With the Domino, there are no screw holes; it just looks classier. I don't think it is any quicker than the Kreg, but is certainly as quick. The joints outperform biscuits, and dowels, giving a much greater surface area for glue. Alignment is extremely easy do to several built-in features. In all, next to the Festool Guide Rail system, the Domino, which can also be used with the Guide Rails is my favorite shop tool.

Top Bottom