February 2014 meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Just thought I'd get this one on the table....

I know February is a somewhat busy month(bash and all here), but it is also three months from the November meeting date.

-Start thinking about demos(that you would like to do or see done).

-Start thinking about where it is going to be(I am not sure if the fella in Pickles Gap has logged in here yet, but he mentioned it being at his place).

-Start thinking about the menu(we gotta eat good...like always).

Scott (might do a tealight candle holder demo) B

BSea

Ok, I just got off the phone with Pete DaSilva. He says it's fine that we have our meeting at his shop in Pickles Gap. His shop is used as a 4H club, and it has 4 maybe 5 lathes, and room for 50. I told him as long as it had heat we were good. And really good for Joe (if he's in town). He can almost walk there.

We talked about Saturday February 8th. I know some people might have conflicts with that date, but the next weekend is close to Valentines day, so that probably won't work for several people. He also has a new member who wants to come.

Anyway, keep watching this thread for more announcements.

pds7526

This is Pete DaSilva, appreciate the invite to host the next meeting. Address is 12 W. Cadron Ridge Road, Greenbrier AR 72058. Directions: coming from Little Rock, get off exit 125, turn right, go 4.5 miles turn left on W. Cadron Ridge Road, log cabin 2nd house on the right. Point of contact Phone #501-428-8740. Come one come all, welcome.

TDE

I'm off that day also. Looks like I may be able to make it. It's about time I was able to go. Got my calendar marked. Ted:)

BSea

I suggest another pen swap. As usual, a $10 max. At this meeting we should come up with something new to do for the May meeting. Maybe some sort of challenge.

Any ideas for demos?

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I suggest another pen swap. As usual, a $10 max. At this meeting we should come up with something new to do for the May meeting. Maybe some sort of challenge.

Any ideas for demos?

A little bit disadvantaged since I don't know what has been done recently on demos but what about one or more of these...

"tube in" blank casting
simple segmenting
closed end pen variations
pepper mill turning
tool sharpening
slim line adaptations
(could be the "challenge" for the May meeting)

Just thinking out loud.
Freddie

BSea

Any ideas for demos?

A little bit disadvantaged since I don't know what has been done recently on demos but what about one or more of these...

"tube in" blank casting
simple segmenting
closed end pen variations
pepper mill turning
tool sharpening
slim line adaptations
(could be the "challenge" for the May meeting)

Just thinking out loud.
Freddie
Those are some good ideas Freddie. How many do you want to do? :biggrin:

I'd be glad to do a simple segmenting demo.

I'm not sure what we have as far as equipment. Pete should be able to help us with some ideas. I know tool sharpening is always a good thing for beginners. And everyone could benefit from what others might do differently.

Casting is really something that should be done in warmer weather where we have really good ventilation. Probably not a good Feb demo because of the fumes.

But I like the idea of a slimline challenge for the next meeting. (I mean the May meeting)

Last edited:

BSea

Lets get a count of who is coming. I plan on being there.

Also, it looks like we might have some weather to consider. Right now it shows a winter mix starting on Friday. So if you plan on coming be sure & check this thread before you leave home. Or give me a call. Everyone should have a roster. If you don't, send me a PM, and I'll send you one.

EDIT: Based on previous post, it looks like John, Teddy, Freddie, Scott & Lyn, Pete, and he's bringing a guest, and myself right now. Phillip is a maybe.

Last edited:

TDE

As long as the weather doesn't get too crazy I can be there. It would be just my luck for it to be icy and me be off but can't go because of the weather. Just think SUNSHINE:biggrin:. Hoping for the best. Ted:)

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
can t make this one either, wife's birthday,, y'all have fun, hope the weather holds off

bmwrider1

I plan on being there and brining a couple of purple heart boards for John. I also have someone from Texas that will probably come with mooks like. BUT looking at the weather forecast it looks like I probably will not come.

BSea

Looking at the forecast this morning, it looks like the weather will be ok. It shows only a 10% chance with no freezing stuff. So looks like we're on for Saturday.

BSea

I talked with Pete tonight. He's making enchiladas (chicken & beef) with rice. So everyone needs to bring their own drinks, and anything they want that will go with enchiladas. He also said to bring desserts. It's obvious he's not been to one of our meeting yet.:rolleyes: Seems like desserts have never been a problem.

Look at his post (#7) for directions. Looks pretty easy to find.

Don't forget to bring your swap pen.

See ya Saturday.

Knucklefish

Hey guys, I hate to tell you but I can't make it. My new job at HR Block is very demanding during tax season and I have been working non stop since mid Jan. I hope you have a great time and I'll definatly make the next meeting.
Scott, if Eddy comes and brings the purpleheart, if you don't mind grabbing it I would appreciate it. I'll send Eddie a check and get the wood from you later down the road.
Hope everyone has a blast! I sure wish I could come. ;(
John

TDE

Hate to hear you can't be there John, I'm still sitting on ready as long as the weather doesn't get crazy tonight. Looking forward to seeing everyone.Ted:)

bmwrider1

Hey guys it is snowing heavy here. I dont expect I will try and make it tomorrow. John I will get with you on the purple heart. I should make it to LR there some time pretty soon.

SDB777

Just a heads up....if the roads are covered with anything, the wife and I will probably stay home and make some pours or something. I know the 'quality of road care' that happens in Arkansas during and after a snow....(we wait until it melts, no sand, no salt).

Why does this SnowbirdBob on Facebook have to be so accurate? Someone needs to slap some warm weather into his predictions!!!

Scott (been cold all day...it sucks) B

BSea

New plan.

We're having the meeting next Saturday instead of tomorrow. With the amount of snow we're having in Little Rock, it would probably be smart to wait. I'm sure by 10 or so the roads will be clear, but that's a little late to start traveling. It's not bad for me, but for others, it just doesn't make sense. Of course, if you want to go tomorrow, Pete said he's going to be in the shop anyway. Just plan on coming next week too.:wink:

McBryde

Finally, a meeting when I'll be home! I plan on making the new meeting on the 15th, Lord willing! I've had my lathe in storage for 10 months now, I HAVE to smell some sawdust soon or I'm going to go CRAZY!!!

E

BSea

Looks like it was a good thing we waited a week. At least 3 more coming that I know of right now.:good:

Make that 4. I will finally be able to make my first meeting. Do I need to bring anything?
You were 1 of the 3 I was counting.:)

Teddy told me you would probably come.

Bring whatever you want to drink. We've found that works better. Pete is supplying the main dinner. He said to bring something to go with enchiladas. Chips are always good. And desserts. We always have too much.

SDB777

Hey guys, I am going to try to make it....I need sawdust!

All tax-prep makes for a dull dude!

We will be there! Took Lyn out last night for dinner(hope that cover V-Day?) And we just really need to get out! Supposed to be a halfway decent day....temps and all!

Scott (woohoo....meeting and no snow) B

Welll.......

It is about 170 miles from down here in the deep south almost louisiana country, so I don't think I will try to make this one. I know I will miss
some good fellowship and demos but I need to set this one out...See ya'll next meeting....:cool:

Top Bottom