Feb. 14, 2016.......MN Chapter meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I was in the Twin Cities on business today and had a few minutes ..... so I stopped into Woodcraft and spoke to Tim, Jay and Chris.
As long as they had no plans for that Sunday......I went ahead and booked the class room for a meeting that day. Why you may ask?!?
Well, here is the reason.

A well known pen turner will be in town that weekend. Ed Brown of Exotic Blanks has agreed to come and do several demos in MN. We all know Mr. Brown as a supporter of the IAP. He is also known for his "history of pen turning" and other demos on Utube.

He will be in the St. Cloud area on Saturday Feb. 13th giving 2 demos for the local turning club. The morning one will be for the general membership with a more personal demo in the afternoon. More details will follow. The Sunday, he is willing to do a demo at the Woodcraft of Minnesota store before flying back home. These demos are not to be missed as the members here all know how much knowledge and hands-on skill this gentleman has. He will be here to answer questions about materials/skills/products etc. Make plans to save the day for this event.

I will be posting more as the information gets to me.

Sprung

I won't be able to make it to Woodcraft on the 14th, but I'll definitely try for St. Cloud on the 13th! (Provided our son doesn't decide to be born a month early and the weather allows for it!)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Weather shouldn't be a problem, Wayne said I should bring a couple light sweaters, prepared for about 60 degrees, possibly a little overcast. Nice driving weather

stonepecker

I can only pray that you clowns are right and that "Minnesota Nice" is in full bloom.

Weather shouldn't be a problem, Wayne said I should bring a couple light sweaters, prepared for about 60 degrees, possibly a little overcast. Nice driving weather

Shorts, t-shirts and flip flops are all you'll need...

That might work if we hold the meeting at the Waterpark of America. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Brian G

February 14, huh. Well, that gives us plenty of time to think of excuses for going to Woodcraft on Valentine's day. "But honey, you don't understand, THE ED BROWN is in town!"

geffre

Invitations?

Do I need a specific invitation to join you on the Feb 14? I am one of two people in the Fargo area that specializes in pens. Most everyone in my AAW club are bowl turners.

Can I join your chapter?

stonepecker

Geffre.......All you need to do is show up.
But I can tell you right now it is a 4 hour drive for you.

You will be more then welcomed at St. Cloud on the 13th or at Woodcraft in Bloomington on the 14th.
Let me know what you would like to do and I will help you with any information.

stonepecker

Very Sorry to have to bring the bad news.
Just found out that Ed will NOT be able to come to Minnesota in Feb.

He said to let everyone know that he will make it another time for us.

eajacobson

Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to both of those weekend events.

That does mean that we need to figure out what will replace the program for February. More to talk about at the January meeting on the 17th.

Ed

stonepecker

ATTENTION MINNESOTA I.A.P.

As we all know, Ed can not come this time for a demo.
He said he will come at a later date.

Because of what we intent to do....
NEW STARTING TIME FOR MEETING.
:biggrin:
SUNDAY.....FEB. 14th.....At Woodcraft.
Social hour from 10 am till 11 am
Meeting from 11 am till 4 pm

:eek:COME PREPARED TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW.:eek:
:cool:Brian will be doing the Demo.:cool:
I will bring the treats.

Last edited:

Brian G

We'll be playing with polymer clay. Clip those 50% off coupons for Michaels, or whatever is your favorite hobby store, and pick up a multi-pack or two of polymer clay.

I'm no expert on this stuff, and by the time we're done, you won't be either! :biggrin:

eajacobson

And, just to keep it all in one place, remember that we are asking you to bring something you've made that is NOT a pen.

Now, we won't keep you out of the meeting for not bringing something, but you'll still want to bring something. Right? :)

Brian G

After a few experiments, I'm thinking we might want to switch to Plan B for a demo, whatever that is. :redface:

Seriously, I think our time, attention, and money is better spent on something else for now. I have no business trying to demo Polymer Clay. Even with more practice, which will take a back seat to BASH activities, I don't think we're on a useful path.

Suggestions?

stonepecker

Let me see what I can come up with. No time change.

I might just have to do a couple of things to use the time but I will be taking the demos for this meeting.
Does anyone mind if I take it away from pen turning and talk about design and other things?
Still turning related but from a different angle.

Thanks for the heads up Brian. :handshake: I got your back.

Last edited:

endacoz

I will try to get there by 1 at the latest! Trying to free up and save those hours so I can come.

ATTENTION MINNESOTA I.A.P.

As we all know, Ed can not come this time for a demo.
He said he will come at a later date.

Because of what we intent to do....
NEW STARTING TIME FOR MEETING.
SUNDAY.....FEB. 14th.....At Woodcraft.
Social hour from 10 am till 11 am
Meeting from 11 am till 4 pm

:eek:COME PREPARED TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW.:eek:
:cool:Brian will be doing the Demo.:cool:
I will bring the treats.

eajacobson

Hey! The meeting is in just a couple of days. I hope you planned the time for dinner reservations to allow you to be there from 10:00 to 4:00. Drive safe with the snow, but hope to see you there.

Ed

endacoz

Hey! The meeting is in just a couple of days. I hope you planned the time for dinner reservations to allow you to be there from 10:00 to 4:00. Drive safe with the snow, but hope to see you there.

Ed

can the demo hold off until 1?

I am looking forward to relaxing and learning from Brian.

Are we doing a box of blanks trade or anything?

Brian G

I won't be doing the demo. See posts #19 and #20. Unless something changed again and Wayne didn't tell me. :eek:

I can't spend 6 hours there tomorrow. I'll have to bail early.

stonepecker

Everyone come when you can, stay as long as you like, leave when you must.

:party: I will be there till the last person leaves :drink:
I will have the treats for all.
We can always make a food run.
Life doesn't get much better.
:beat-up:
Don't leave the angels at home.
They might need to get you a last minute Valentine gift.
And what better place can we think of?

:)Looking forward to seeing everyone there:)

Marnat3

I will try and make it. Been pretty sick for the last 10 days or so. Can I still come if I haven't turned anything other than a pen. Can I bring something?

stonepecker

Please don't come if you are sick. I personally don't need to catch anything right now.

I will be talking about design and my thoughts on different opinions I have heard over the years. I will have some books with me that will show what I am talking about.
I will also be talking about my trade a little bit and how that crosses over to my pens and life.
I also will be asking question from all the members about problems I am having with different things. All shop related.

Like I said.........I will have treats and we can always make a food run if need be.
Bring your own drinks.

alankulwicki7

Don't think I'm going to make it. Too much going on...

Wayne and Mark, I still have your buckthorn blanks. I'll hold on to them until next time...

Have fun in the snow:eek:

stonepecker

Enjoy you time with the family Doug.

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone that can not make it.
You will be missed.

I am running a little late today.......but I should be there before 11am. Traffic permitting.

stonepecker

We had an excelent meeting in my book. Shared some thoughts......learnd some things.
Listened to the guys who knew what the answer was.

Did some thinking......talked with Jeff........Plans are being made......will explain later in the week.
For now, Just mark the 20th of March for the next meeting. It is going to be a fun time for everyone.

More information to come the end of the week.
Stand bye.

Brian G

Only if you bring back some desert ironwood as penalty. :biggrin:

It was a good time. Sorry I had to leave so early. Meeting Randy and Bob was great. Wayne gave us each a blank to make into a pen for swapping next meeting.

alankulwicki7

Only if you bring back some desert ironwood as penalty. :biggrin:

It was a good time. Sorry I had to leave so early. Meeting Randy and Bob was great. Wayne gave us each a blank to make into a pen for swapping next meeting.

I bring all of my haul with a few weeks ago so I will likely be bringing some back with me on this trip. :)

Plus Sharon might have some Sumac and Carob for me as well. It's a good thing my father-in-law has a Yukon XL so he can haul all this wood to South Dakota for me this summer:eek:

stonepecker

Please let Sharon know that she can give you the wood she promised me in trade. Save her the postage...... ... (I know, Your hauling fee will be higher.....LOL)

You spend way to much time in AZ.......You really should have help to bring that wood back. I know a few members would be willing to help you Doug. Just sayin'

Top Bottom