Feather Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lew

20220825_160156.jpg20220825_160117 (1).jpg

I was recently asked by a client to make a pen with a fluffy feather. I thought for quite a while about how to make such a pen. If I cast feathers in resin, it would not come out fluffy. I asked for advice on this site and got some good tips. What I finally decided to do was to insert the feather into the end of the pen to make it like a giant quill pen. The client is very pleased with the result. I have included some extra feathers just in case this one gets broken and she needs a replacement feather.

I used an Apollo Infinity kit from PSI with Bethlehem olive wood for the blank. I thought the mixture of wood from the Holy Land along with a feather was a good match. The finish is 2 coats of Danish Oil followed by 2 coats of thin, then 2 coats of medium, followed by 2 final coats of thin Starbond CA. The feather is Goose Nagoire I got from featherplace.com. I drilled a hole in the cap to match the size of the shaft and used epoxy to fix the feather in place.

I'm pleased with the result as long as the client is pleased. I'm not sure the design is perfect because of what I think will be the tendency of the feather to break. Reaming out the old shaft and using epoxy to attach a new one should be a simple fix depending on the ability of the client or her husband to do so.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
An unusual request, but I believe you did well. The extra feathers is an excellent thought. Very nicely done. 👏 👏 👏

Reactions: Lew
Top Bottom