Feast Your Eyes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

The main reason I wanted to start casting was because I wanted to make hybrids. In the box is a variety of burl chunks, all dried and all stabilized, ready to be cast. My wife keeps asking me when am I going to make pens again, but to be honest, making blanks is just as much fun as making the pen.
83365810-DDF8-42FA-AF60-5AEB748F5637.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It's sad when a trusty buddy ventures on 'the the dark side....' Casting is evil! It detracts you from your primary mission of innovative segmenting, and jigs!!! 🤣🤣🤣. Resist! Come back to the resistance... We need you.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say... The cast blanks are superb! Well Done.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

Those look Awesome. I somewhat agree with Mark. About all I do is cast so being on the dark side I'm not sure of. But I think it's easier than the level of segmenting you do. So I'll agree with Mark that you leaving a better skill starting to cast but your good at it as well. I enjoy making blanks more than turning. It's not necessarily cheaper but the kits don't get expensive. I enjoy making blanks for people and getting feedback after they turn them. I'll ask for a picture to see if o might need to change or do something different for the next time.

KenB259

Those look Awesome. I somewhat agree with Mark. About all I do is cast so being on the dark side I'm not sure of. But I think it's easier than the level of segmenting you do. So I'll agree with Mark that you leaving a better skill starting to cast but your good at it as well. I enjoy making blanks more than turning. It's not necessarily cheaper but the kits don't get expensive. I enjoy making blanks for people and getting feedback after they turn them. I'll ask for a picture to see if o might need to change or do something different for the next time.
My thinking is, resin has a rather short shelf life so I'll use up the resin I have making the burl cutoffs into hybrids. I have made a few watch parts pens and I want to do some more of them. I'm not to interested in just making all resin pen blanks, so I probably wont go there. I do have some clear casting ideas I want to try. This hobby lets you go down many roads. One idea just leads to another and they have a way of intertwining.

Kenny Durrant

I see your point Ken. I wouldn't worry too much about the resin going bad. I've used some that were a year old with good results. Don't get me wrong I would t push it and just don't take it for granted. It's funny you mentioned the "Many Roads" this hobby has. The problem is that all the roads lead to the same might net pit! Ha Ha. The main thing is no matter which road you take their all fun.

Top Bottom