Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I would have to say my skews.. I have a couple of them and two are reground to custom shapes and use like a scraper to get the final ready to lightly sand finish... they basically are used to very lightly scrape off dust like particles and smooth the blanks.. they are ground to a more intense radius than a normal radiused skew.. I actually did the first one for making spinning tops, but found it worked on pens very well also... the biggie it keeping them scary sharp and I do that with a diamond stone to touch up the edges... The way I hold them in also different and would probably scare the heck out of most woodturning teachers.. but it works for me and I still have all my fingers.

gerberpens

I guess I'm in the small minority of folks that use the Sorby Spindlemaster. It is a relatively easy tool to use as a new turner and gives me a nice smooth cut. I would recommend it to new turners.

Rifleman1776

Txbob, I believe most folks would disagree with you on that. Less chisel, less chance for a catch. I'm in the process of watching a bowl turning video right now and he most of the work with a homemade cutter (I can hardly call it a chisel) so small it is almost just a little point, under 3/16", for sure. A master turner in my club advised using small chisels to avoid catches. He mostly turns manzanita and burls and doesn't like catches. I have been using a 1" spindle gougle for rounding then shaping with a 1" skew on most of my work, from larger to pens. But I recenlty acquired two large (2" & 2 1/2") roughing gouges that I will try for fast waste removal. First attempts were bummers, they caught instantly on corners. It was aged hardwood. I switched to a 3/8" spindle gouge and rounded that sucker quickly without catches.

Originally posted by txbob
<br />90% of my turning is done with a 1" roughing gouge, 9% with a 1" skew, and the rest is mostly a parting tool.

I think a common mistake made by beginners is using smaller tools, when the larger tools give better control and reduced chance of a catch.

txbob

Tim

I start with a 1/2" spindle gouge and the use a 3/4" skew. My biggest problem is keeping them sharp emough to do the job properly.

Tim

MDWine

Up to this point, I've used the gouge on all of my pens. (both of 'em![;)])

I was able to get a fairly smooth turn, and get the wood to the final diminsions.

Now, thanks to Griz, my skew is less scary, so I think I will be using it a bit more.

So, uh, my FAVORITE? ALL OF 'EM!!!! [:D]
I can't decide, I have so little experience! I guess that makes me fat, dumb, and happy![:p]

atvrules1

I round with a 1" gouge, rough shape with a 1/2" round nose scraper then final shape with a 1" skew. As I've learned to use the skew I find that the control you can achieve with it is unparalleled. I am able to use it on some of the more difficult woods where anything else would have a fair amount of tear-out. Definently turning into my favorite tool.

vick

A roughing gouge and a skew. I use 3/4 roughing gouge to turn round then change to a skew. I have 2 skewa a 3/4 inch and a 1 1/4, if the pen is big enough I love the 1 1/4. It just seems more stable to me.

I like using a 3/4" bowl gouge which I also use like a skew.

The bowl gouge I have has a deep flute and I use the sides as skew.
I also have a 1/4" round skew that I like.

dozuki

i love my roughing gouge. It may sound crazy but i can do most things swith my roughing gouge. Besides the skew keeps catching wile the rougher just rolles along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom