Favorite Pen Kits for Women?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buckmark13

At the risk of getting a million different opinions, I'll throw this question out there as I need to make a pen for a 40 year old female professional. It will be paired with a piece of cholla cactus that I've stabilized and cast in epoxy. I have several pieces that I've cast, but this will most likely be some shade of blue in color paired with the natural wood look of the cactus.

What higher end / high quality pen kits resonate the best with females and will typically fit their hands to be most comfortable for the majority of women? As always, pictures are worth a thousand words!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is a loaded quest honestly. There really isn't a "best" kit to go with.

It all comes down to hand size, pen weight, kit style, etc. Your best option may be to ask her what her preferences are and maybe let her try writing with a few different pen types that you have made to narrow down what she would like. A "generic" style to start with would be a Sierra style of pen as those tend to be in the center range for size, weight, etc for pens. Sierra styles offer some higher end finishes as well. With my wife and her employees, most of whom are women, they tend to gravitate towards the Sierra size of pen.

On that note, women can also drift to a longer pen that isn't as heavy. Best of luck on your endeavour.

RobS

My coworkers order the Executive consistently for other women and it also works for all genders.

jttheclockman

Pen kits are like opinions these days. Tons of them. But a more generic answer I found is women gravitate toward the one blank Sierra style twist or click when buying for themself. I have recently gone to more top twisting as opposed to center twisting because there is a tendency of the tranny becoming unscrewed if the blank is constantly twisted too hard. Many options to choose from and now it is a matter of cosmetics and design taste.

DesertCanyon

My coworkers order the Executive consistently for other women and it also works for all genders.

It's also a long enough barrel to show off the cholla nicely.

David350

If you find out they prefer a slimmer pen, I really like the Diana (AKA Zoe). It is an 8mm pen, but uses a parker refill so you can easily upgrade to the Schmidt 9000. To me, it looks like a woman's pen with the two crystals and has just enough bling without looking cheap, IMHO...

Diana Pen Kit

Buckmark13

If you find out they prefer a slimmer pen, I really like the Diana (AKA Zoe). It is an 8mm pen, but uses a parker refill so you can easily upgrade to the Schmidt 9000. To me, it looks like a woman's pen with the two crystals and has just enough bling without looking cheap, IMHO...

Diana Pen Kit

Thanks everyone, and as I said I knew it was a loaded question! I've not done a ton of pen turning, so always appreciate everyone's input and the forum!

David - Thanks for the recommendation of the Diana. I had not seen that one and after looking at it I went ahead and ordered it. I think that will be a great fit for her. Much appreciated!

jttheclockman

Thanks everyone, and as I said I knew it was a loaded question! I've not done a ton of pen turning, so always appreciate everyone's input and the forum!

David - Thanks for the recommendation of the Diana. I had not seen that one and after looking at it I went ahead and ordered it. I think that will be a great fit for her. Much appreciated!
Diana is a nice looking kit. It is also a Dayacom kit which is a good quality kit. Not overpowering and any blank would look good with it.

zig613

I would suggest the Aero Ballpoint Pen Kit (Black Ti & Palladium). It's a Dayscom kit. Then add an upgraded refill like the Schmidt 9000 easy flow.

qquake

The women (and some men) I work with seem to prefer slim pens, like the Icon or Saxa.

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 084.jpg
    084.jpg