Favorite inks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

Greetings
What are your favorite brand(s) of bottled ink? I just used up a bottle of Aurora black and was happy with it. I now have Noodlers No Feather black and it seems I'm having trouble with ink flow. Not sure if it's the ink or me. Both nibs worked with the Aurora ink.

I'm using Schaefer Scrip red in a TWSBI and it writes great.
Thanks
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've seen Pelikan take some knocks on a subforum of a shaving forum I'm a member of, but I've loved their royal blue since the first time I tried it. Most the discontent surrounds it being a dry ink, but that's perfect for me since I use it to sign off IV labels at my job and can do without the smearing since it gets handled right away. I was off for 10 days, picked up my fountain pen first thing this morning and had no problem writing with right from the start. Another plus is the color stands out so all the nurses always know if something was written by me, regardless of whether or not it has my signature.

lhowell

I've seen Pelikan take some knocks on a subforum of a shaving forum I'm a member of, but I've loved their royal blue since the first time I tried it. Most the discontent surrounds it being a dry ink, but that's perfect for me since I use it to sign off IV labels at my job and can do without the smearing since it gets handled right away. I was off for 10 days, picked up my fountain pen first thing this morning and had no problem writing with right from the start. Another plus is the color stands out so all the nurses always know if something was written by me, regardless of whether or not it has my signature.

I have stayed away from fountains being that I am left handed and smear ink everywhere. Being a "dry ink" as you call it would this maybe work for a lefty without smearing quite a bit?

More4dan

Waterman inks are very smooth, water based so easy to keep nibs and feed clean. However there are limited colors. I've also used Diamine inks and are similar but in an extremely wide range of colors

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Mr Vic

Mike,

If you are looking to sample different inks, head over to https://www.gouletpens.com/
Not only do they have a boat load of videos about fountain pens but they also sell sample vials of ink. I'm guestimating from 500-600 or more different brands/colors.

I've absolutely no affiliation but was his Q&As every Friday night. A wealth of FP knowledge.

I have stayed away from fountains being that I am left handed and smear ink everywhere. Being a "dry ink" as you call it would this maybe work for a lefty without smearing quite a bit?

That's a tough call to make. I don't think left handed people can completely eliminate smearing regardless of the ink unless they write underhanded, though a drier ink certainly helps.

JP1337

I am a big fan of Caran D'ache Chromatic series of ink, in particular I use Idyllic blue a lot. Stunning blue colour.

As far as my favourite brand goes, Pilot Iroshizuku have been my best performers. Really lovely consistent flow, good saturation. I like my inks slightly on the wet side but not super wet.

Penultimate

Dan
Thanks for the link. There is a lot of info on inks there. I like how it is organized.

Roy
Do you think that the Scrip ink is better than the other brands for plain paper? I write on plain paper at work and notice that the ink flows differently on each type of paper. I have Scrip red in a Lamy and it works great.

budnder

Dan
Roy
Do you think that the Scrip ink is better than the other brands for plain paper? I write on plain paper at work and notice that the ink flows differently on each type of paper. I have Scrip red in a Lamy and it works great.

I had some Pilot Iroshizuku and some J. Herbin Eclat De Saphir, which are nice on nice paper, but that I wasn't happy with on plain old paper. I did some research on the subject and ended up with the Pilot Scrip and some Noodler's X-Feather Black. Both worked great on plain paper, but I prefer the Scrip simply because of the color.

Bryguy

Diamine!

I use Diamine inks. The company has been around for a long time and has a very wide range of colors. I believe they are rebottled by https://www.birminghampens.com/
under their own brand for a little less$, but they don't rebottle the whole palette of Diamine colors.
I'd be leery of Noodles as Richard Binder suggests they may be acidic and can,therefore, cause long term damage.

RobS

Noodler's Massachusetts 54th or as I like to call it slate blue, is what I use daily. Dries quickly and everyone loves the color.

Regret you have asked a rhetorical question :) ! Some pens like some inks some others, but can say the most consistent ink have used on all pens is J Herbin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

keithbyrd

That's a tough call to make. I don't think left handed people can completely eliminate smearing regardless of the ink unless they write underhanded, though a drier ink certainly helps.

My sister and niece are both left handed both use fountain pens and both love them with no smearing!

Top Bottom