Father Sing returns!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you study the origins of "penmaking", one of the early writers was Dick Sing. He wrote "picture tutorial" type books, which I read in the mid-1990's, starting my penturning "career".

Since the Chicago Chapter of the IAP has been formed through the efforts of Mark Dreyer, Dick Sing has attended every meeting just to watch and comment when appropriate. This month, Mark was able to wrangle Dick into doing a presentation.

Dick brought a cigar box full of goodies. Because he was a machinist for many years (for GM I found out today), listening to Dick is a study in precision. The line drawing on the whiteboard was to explain that the pen nib is not machined square, there is a slight slope--Dick proceeded to tell us how he adapted his blanks to accommodate that slope. In 20 years of penmaking, I had never thought of this---but Dick is a machinist, measures with micrometers and no detail is too minute to consider.

It was a real treat listening to "Father Sing"--I hope all of you have this opportunity at some time!!

Here are a couple pictures from the presentation:
attachment.php
attachment.php

My sincere thanks to Dick and to Mark for arranging this presentation. You can never get enough of a true master and gentleman--Dick Sing IS both!! (and his wife, Cindy was a treat, as always!!)

Attachments

• dick and demobox.jpg
    dick and demobox.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 397
  • dickinmotion.jpg
    dickinmotion.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 386
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Had a great time. Always nice to see friends and meet new ones. We are very blessed to have Mr Dick Sing in our chapter. Such a wealth of knowledge and experience, not to mention a real nice guy. Thank You Again Dick! And thank you Mark for bringing us all together.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I hosted the Ohio Chapter today, so was unable to attend :frown:. While we had a great time, and I enjoyed "our" event in Ohio, I am sorry I missed this meeting. Nice to see a newer chapter growing in leaps and bounds! Well done Mark, and minions.

mg_dreyer

Dick has been a lot of fun to have at the meetings. I thank everyone who has helped out this year with demos - what a stunning line up we have had:

Dick Sing
John Underhill
Ed Brown
Mark James
Don McCloskey

Next year looks great also. Thanks - Dick. Thanks everyone for coming out.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dick has been a lot of fun to have at the meetings. I thank everyone who has helped out this year with demos - what a stunning line up we have had:

Dick Sing
John Underhill
Ed Brown
Mark James
Don McCloskey

Next year looks great also. Thanks - Dick. Thanks everyone for coming out.

The chapter also enjoyed a demo from an AAW presenter--Mark Dreyer.
The Chicagoland population includes a LOT of good penmakers who are willing to share their techniques. We are very fortunate!!

The organization of this chapter by Mark has been a textbook!! If you want to organize an IAP chapter in your area, send me a PM--include your telephone number--let's discuss how much of Chicago can translate to your area!! He has proven it CAN be done--about 40-70 members per meeting, so far.

Top Bottom