Fat Pens Vs Not

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

I had a request to make an Olympian 2 Elite pen as fat as possible ("make it like a figure 8" was my instruction). With the bore of the Olympian tubes (31/64" and 33/64" for the body and cap respectively), I did not have much "meat" to work with on my blanks. The finished pen turned out ok, and my buyer was delighted, but I cannot imagine actually writing with this pen. It is unwieldy and not comfortable to hold or write with. Also, the cap is so bloated, the clip actually "bottoms out" along its length, and cannot function as a clip. But, as I mentioned, my customer was very happy.

IMG_0100.JPGIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0107.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I prefer smaller diameter pens because I think they look better. However the diameter should be left up to the style and taste of the turner ( or their customer). There is no wrong way for doing this. This may be my imagination but I have gotten the impression that turners overseas tend to prefer a little beefier pen.

sorcerertd

I've never cared for that look, but you made it work very well here. Not taking the shape into consideration, the barrels look great.

I wish I could find a picture, but I came across a very large, strangely shaped pen and thought "what the...?", but then I read the description and realized that it was made that way for people with tremors or Parkinson's to be better able to write. The bigger and heavier, the better to hold it down on the paper. Then I was able to see the beauty of what I had at first thought of as very ugly. I guess I'm getting more sentimental as I age, but when I thinking about the joy someone might feel to be able to write something legible again, and maybe a child or grandchild who can receive a handwritten card or letter again, it kinda hits me right in the feels. I also feel a little guilty for wondering who thought a pen that deformed was a good idea.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yikes... But the customer has what they wanted, l won't be judgmental.

As asked for, the pen is actually excellent - well done.

I really like your choice of blanks/materials. Very nice. šŸ‘

TDahl

I too am not a big fan of the shape. With that said the materials and components you chose are excellent and resulted in a very classy pen. Well done!

qquake

That is a VERY fat pen! Not my cup of tea, but the customer is always right. Well, almost always... Sounds like you have a happy customer on your hands. Good job!

darrin1200

Could be someone with finger problems, (arthritis) and needs a large pen to be able to hold it.
It actually looks pretty good. I think I would have opted for a roll stop instead of he included clip.

KMCloonan

Could be someone with finger problems, (arthritis) and needs a large pen to be able to hold it.
It actually looks pretty good. I think I would have opted for a roll stop instead of he included clip.
I wondered about that (the arthritis thought). Can you tell me more about a roll stop? I have not heard that term before. Thanks Darrin!

darrin1200

I wondered about that (the arthritis thought). Can you tell me more about a roll stop? I have not heard that term before. Thanks Darrin!
A roll stop is simply a small decorative "bump" in the cap that prevents the pen from rolling off the table.
In some of my earlier pens, I used small necklace pendants, glued in place. I used a "Tree of Life" charm on my wife's pen.
Currently, I am trying to turn my logo int a silver castable roll-stop.

KMCloonan

A roll stop is simply a small decorative "bump" in the cap that prevents the pen from rolling off the table.
In some of my earlier pens, I used small necklace pendants, glued in place. I used a "Tree of Life" charm on my wife's pen.
Currently, I am trying to turn my logo int a silver castable roll-stop.
Thanks for the explanation. I agree that would have been a good alternative to the useless clip.

Top Bottom