Fast or slow. Heavy or light

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aaturner

I am new to turning pens , and want to try and get the best possible finish on acrylics. Do you sand through 12000 micro mesh at a high or low speed? Heavy pressure or light preasure? Any feedback would be a great help. Thanks guys and gals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Instead of heavy pressure, use lower grits and move up using the next up grit. I have noticed over the years that "heavy pressure" is used when a slight defect is noticed and one (we or I) want to get it out without having to go back down a grit. Take your time and enjoy the journey of pen making. It is the enjoyment of the journey that produces the best pens.

TonyL

You are going to get a ton of excellent, up to date advice from experts here. You also may try in the search box "Scratch free acrylic Finish". You may find a process that appeals to you. Happy turning and finishing!

I agree. Low speeds. My pen lathe goes down to two hundred something. That's good. I also support clearing off the mess from the previous grit before the next one. I keep separate "baths" of water for each grit (the plastic cream cheese tubs from Panera work great ).

DJBPenmaker

Yes, slow speed mine is about 500, wet sanding also sand lengthways between each grit. Then a plastic polish to finish

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

JPW062

Definitely light touch.
I go a bit faster on the finer grits. Maybe 1000. I seem to get a really smooth finish that way. In my mind it is building up enough heat to melt a bit, but I am not really sure about that.

JimB

Definitely light touch.
I go a bit faster on the finer grits. Maybe 1000. I seem to get a really smooth finish that way. In my mind it is building up enough heat to melt a bit, but I am not really sure about that.

You are not building up that much heat. If it was melting anything you would have a mess, not a smooth finish

Top Bottom