Fallow Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rtjw

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtjw

This is one of the pens I have started turning. It is made out of Fallow Deer Antler I get from a local wildlife park here in Glen Rose. I think they turn really well and make great looking pens.

2005226214525_Fallow%20Deer.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Those are whitetail deer eating everyones gardens and flowers. Your signature quote may be prophetic. Many suburban/urban areas that protect deer eventually have to allow hunting to control damage. Deer can become almost vermin if they overpopulate. That fallow deer pen is sure bell ringer. Don't price too low.

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Exceptionally well done. I don't know what kind of deer are here in Virginia--I call em nuisance deer.

rtjw

The bottom part came from close to the base. It was very porous and so I had to be real careful. The reason such a contrast is because the porous part still has blood in it and when you get down to that part, that is what makes the different colors. The top part came from a tip of the antler and you can see a little part of the remaining outside of the tip. I wanted it that way so that you can see the outside part of the antler on the pen. It was not hard to turn at all. The porous part you have to be careful not to fluff off any but otherwise it is like any other antler. The smell is atrocious, I think worse than a whitetail. After having to smell that the whole time your making a pen, it better look good. I have had a lot of hunters asking for one. Also the place I get the antlers from are wanting some. I hope to be able to trade pens for antlers.

rtjw

Well it is a wildlife park. They raise them and the public can drive through and see them. It is about 1500 acres and they have all sorts of exoctic wildlife. Not only deer, they have zebras, ostriches, giraffes, birds, turkeys, and alot of others. They are known world wide for their conservation efforts. They are one of the very few rhino breeding programs in the world. You get to see all of these up close and you get to feed them as you drive through. When I say up close I mean up close. The giraffes will literally stick their whole head in your car to eat. everything comes right up to the car and you can feed them. I have seen some fabulous trophy deer there. It is a really neat place to take your kids and let them see some of the wildlife. The rhinos and cheetahs they do keep behind high fences. But they are all roaming on open land. It is unlike any zoo you can imagine. here you get the real experience of seeing the animals. It takes around three hours to drive the whole thing.

opfoto

Great looking pen....Since I didn't get a buck this year [V] maybe you can send that pen to me to help with my therapy.[;)]

dougle40

Great looking pen . Hope you have luck getting more . The park that you got the antlers from must have foreign species there because Fallow Deer are native to European countries and GB .

J. Fred Muggs

Lou:
You disappoint me! You are the guy who always has all the latin names for the woods and can cross reference all the common names, etc.
Yet you don't know what kind of deer you have in Virginia???
Most all wild deer along the east coast are whitetail deer. Latin name <b>Odocoileus virginianus</b>. Aparently some of our early ancestors first spotted the magificent animals in <b>Virginia</b> and hung that name on them. Just want you to be well informed[:D][:D]

BTW, Johnny. Great looking pen even though it's from a native asian <b>Dama dama </b>AKA Fallow deer.[8D]

Rifleman1776

There are large, fenced, ranches in the U.S., mostly in Texas, where controlled herds of fallow deer and other exotic species are raised for hunting.

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />Great looking pen . Hope you have luck getting more . The park that you got the antlers from must have foreign species there because Fallow Deer are native to European countries and GB .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom