Fall Shin Ding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

Hi all;
still planning things out but thus far....

Saturday Oct. 16th,
Rockler
345 Tukwila Parkway
Tukwila, WA 98188
Phone (206) 244-9161
2:00 PM
We have to be OUT of the store by 4:45

We will have use of a lathe,
more details forth coming still putting ideas together.

I know it may not be the best day for all, but Rocker is moving stores and that is their open weekend. Its' all part of being flexible.
thanks.
mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Fall Shin Ding

I think it's bedtime! When I read that title I thought it was a wood from the Orient that I hadn't heard of yet! :confused: :redface::):yawn:

markgum

Hi All;
got a request from Rockler that the time of our meeting should be from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. I agreeded to their request. Caden you up for doing the demo of a celtic knot??

Lordnyax

I won't hold anyone to it if I don't have a great time, but do you think it would be worth the drive from vancouver (wa)?

markgum

I won't hold anyone to it if I don't have a great time, but do you think it would be worth the drive from vancouver (wa)?

IMHO: OF COURSE IT WOULD BE WORTH THE DRIVE. I know I'm a bit KRAZY but I have driven 3 hours (each way) to attend a chapter meeting, when I lived down south.

Lordnyax

Displaced Canadian said:
If you are completely new to pen turning I would say that you would learn more in that afternoon than you would learn in 6 months on your own.

Well in that case, I hope very much that I will be able to go that day. Have to check with the wife about her work schedule.

markgum

The events???
o.k. I'm thinking if Caden can do the demo for the celtic knot then have Craig finish it with the CA Finish.
We can also bring our latest turnings, and any thing to trade, and some type of munchie stuff (cookies, soda)
What say ye??

markgum

It's almost time.
Caden is going to demo a celtic knot. Our host shop has a lathe and a chop saw we can use. After the perfect celtic knot pen is turned Craig is going to apply an expert CA finish. I'll bring the camera and try to capture the demos and share it with those who can't be there.
Joe, bring your tools that you have quesitons about sharpening. We will see what advice we can give you and if our host will allow us access to their sharpening area.
If you want to bring some munchies please do. Of course bring the latest turnings to brag about.
It's going to be a fantastic event.

fredabe

Rockler Tukwila

Rockler is moving their store 2 doors down in the same building in Tukwila. It will be a larger space meaning more stuff for us to buy.

Fred

bearmanric

I'm in Michigan right now. I'm a custom call maker. cnc machining my call parts hope to be home around the 1st. Hope to learn to turn pen's. Going to start getting stuff soon. I have lot's and lot's of wood. Have mandrels. Wish I could make it to Rockler it's my candy store. I like to hit woodcraft, Rockler and sumner wood's in the same day. Just started to use ca Finish on certain call's could have learned something. Have fun every one.Rick

SkookumPens

The Olympia Wood Turners meets every fourth Thursday at the Thurston Fairgrounds. We meet at 6:30. We do have people there that turn pens and have had several demonstrators. I will be there. I am the person selling the glue & sandpaper.

Craig Chatterton
Puyallup, WA

bearmanric

When I get back to Washington. I'll join the Olympia wood turner's. I would be interest Craig in buying CA Glue for my Finish's and antler. Thank's. Going to join a pen turning class when I'm able at woodcraft. Celtic knot's are nice would have been great to see. Rick

markgum

AWESOME Meeting A BIG THANK YOU to Rockler for hosting us. Thanks to Caden, and Chris for the celtic knot demo, and Thank you Craig for the demo on the CA finish. Photos coming shortly.

o.k. things got crazy at home and now' I'm traveling. won't be home till the weekend, so I'll try and get the photos posted then. Why does work get in the way of this fun hobby.....

Last edited:

markgum

Hi all;
here are a few of the photos I have from the October meeting. Sorry this has taken so long to get posted. I've been on the road Tues. - Friday the past month. I know no excuse. More photos coming when I can get them resized...

Using a chop Saw Chris makes the cuts for the pick guard material.

Chris shares his tricks and tips with the group.

Caden shows the way to NOT use a drill while trying to square the pen blank.

Caden is a master with the Skew. However, we all told him he needs a NEW one.

The Celtic Knot begins to take shape

yes, i have photos of Craig and his CA finish, but they are giving me fits trying to resize them.
coming soon...

THANKS EVERYONE for a great Meeting.

Last edited:

garvan

Thanks for the pictures of the last meeting, amd thank you Mark for your PM birthday wishes yesterday. It was my 75th. As you suggested I subscribed to the Washington forum. Look forward to getting info on the next meeting.

Tullyamo

I would love to come to this!! I am on the other side of the mountains in beautiful, sunny, who the hell am I kidding... I live in Yakima. However, due to all the trauma call I am currently taking I am going to have to say I cannot come. ;(

Edit.. it seems I didn't pay attention to the date given and have replied nearly a whole month late. :)

Top Bottom