Fall 2013 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Please use this thread to discuss the meeting preparations for the fall meeting.

Date: October 27 (Confirmed)
Time: 1:00 for free newbie tutorial
1:30 for normal meeting

Location: TBD (Two people volunteered, would you two please PM me so we can work out the plan - thanks)

Topics: At the last meeting, Glenn demonstrated how he hollows small items (think Christmas ornaments). Assuming he can get another vacation day (or we find a substitute demonstrator) doing some finials would complete the ornament project.

HOWEVER - there's no guarantee we'll get this arranged. So please discuss other topics you would like to see demonstrate or topics you would like to demonstrate. Feel free to PM or call me (734-545-6326) if you want to kick around some ideas.

Thanks ... talk/type to you soon.

Jim

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Kaleidoscope help

OK - at the last meeting one of you brought a couple of kaleidoscopes for show and tell. I need some pointers to supplies, kits, pans, etc. I need to make a couple of Christmas presents for some grand children and grandnieces/nephews.

Help please.

Jim

CrimsonKeel

OK - at the last meeting one of you brought a couple of kaleidoscopes for show and tell. I need some pointers to supplies, kits, pans, etc. I need to make a couple of Christmas presents for some grand children and grandnieces/nephews.

Help please.

Jim

Im planning on making one of these for my mom she collects them. Id like stuff on them too.
I wouldnt mind a demo on segmenting. Im getting a band saw in the next few weeks and ill be able to make some better cuts and would like to move to some segments.

bs16

For instructions on kaleidoscopes, do a search an Jim Duxbury. He sells a DVD and plans onn making kaleidoscopes.

Bob

pesbes

Next Meeting Location

Jim and I just talked and I will be hosting the next meeting on October 27th. My address is 796 Rock Spring Road, Bloomfield Hills, MI. I am located in the south west sector of Long Lake and Adams roads. I am planning a CNC lathe demo, so bring your own hearing protection, it gets quite loud. Also, bring your own chair for the meeting. If someone else wants to do a demo, I have a full size lathe available. Hope to see you all there.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=796+...oomfield+Hills,+Michigan+48304&gl=us&t=m&z=15

Phil

Well the meeting is the day after my Nephews wedding, but CNC lathe demo might make it worth coming, I have missed the last few meetings, I hope I can make this one.

scotirish

No due's required. Cookies, possibly. Come to the meeting it will be worth your time. Phil is a member of the same woodworking club (DAW) as I am and I have seen his CNC set-up and it is awesome! :laugh::laugh: Hope you can make it.
Ron

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Agenda Item ...

One of the agenda items for the business portion of the meeting is the 2014 schedule. We already have the January meeting set. So, for your consideration and discussion, I'm proposing the following schedule:

January 26, 2014 (already set from previous schedule - Loc: Fischer's House)
April 27, 2014 (Loc: TBD)
July 27, 2014 (Loc: TBD)
October 26, 2014 (Loc: TBD)
January 25, 2015 (Loc: TBD)

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Head Count ...

It's time we get a final head count ... if you have already indicated your coming, you're all set (unless your plans change). If you haven't said anything, please do so now so we have an idea for planning purposes.

Thanks ...

I'll be there!!!!

PeetyInMich

Count me as a strong tentative, I haven't told the wife yet. But she figures these meetings are relatively harmless (we don't wind up at the bar, or in jail afterwards).

scotirish

Apologies, I will not be there. As the Re-Sale chair for DAW (I also missed the first meeting due to a death in the family) I need to go to the DAW meeting on the 27th. Miss you all. Look forward to being at the January meeting.
Ron

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Any Volunteers...

Diet Soft drink
Regular Soft drink
Salty Snack
Sweet Snack

There's still time to ask for or volunteer for a demo ... we'll see what we can arrange.

See you all soon.

Jim

pesbes

Bring your own Chair

Glenn talked about a metal lathe. Did not want to get your hopes up too high. I built my own CNC machine and it is limited to light duty work, no metal. Here is a link to my YouTube channel if you would like to see the machine in action before seeing it in person.

pesbes6062 - YouTube

If you can't make it, sorry Glenn, at least you can get a taste for what it will do. See you all Sunday and don't forget to RSVP and bring your own chair. And don't forget your hearing protection!!!!

Phil

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
See you soon ...

Only a couple of days ... head count looks a little light ... too bad about the schedule conflict.

Bring friends and neighbors ... pass the word to those that haven't typed anything recently to make sure they are reminded of the meeting.

See everyone (well, most everyone) in a couple of days.

Jim

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Looks like I will be able to make this one! I will bring some sort of food and/or munchies. Jim whats the head count looking like?

Ed

At the moment it looks like ~7 Yes's and 2 No's ... that leaves about 15 that haven't said one way or the other. Because DAW had to change their meeting schedule (for this one time) we have an overlap, so I'm going to guess we'll be a little light ... I'd suggest we assume 10 to 12 people max.

See you in a couple days.

Jim

PeetyInMich

I am out. Wife made other plans for me. (she actually has some work related things that came up and I have to play daddy to my kids (and NO, bringing them is not an option) for our safety, not theirs). So I will be watching kids and smoking a brisket (Bob may even smell it on his way up from Ohio, between Dixie Hwy, and Nadeau rd. exits). Have a great meeting, and post pics.

PTsideshow

Great meeting and great demo, spirals cut by CNC machine in a worth wood blank made by Victor of landfill lumber another member. assorted members helped finish it. Got the pen I assembled in the raffle. Will post a photo soon.
Thanks for hosting Phil
:clown:

pesbes

Pens from Meeting

I had a great time with the crew at the meeting today. Thanks to the whole team that finished the two pens. Glen with one N and Bob (if Betty will let it go), can you please send me a picture of the pens. I forgot to take a picture while I had them in my hand for a couple of minutes.

Phil

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Closing Notes ...

Phil - Thanks for hosting and thanks for the fantastic, interactive demo.

For those who were there - thanks for attending. I really enjoyed the conversation and the idea sharing.

For those that missed the meeting .... well, you missed a really good time. The meeting was a little light on attendance due to the reschedule of the DAW meeting, but otherwise the meeting was wonderful.

In the business part of the meeting (the early part) I mostly reviewed with everyone some of the decisions made in the past regarding meeting schedules, the idea of rotating locations (to people's shops instead of going to a Woodcraft or Rockler store), etc. This discussion was primarily review ... a chance to bring newer people up to speed on why we operate the way we do.

We reviewed the proposed 2014 schedule ... see ' http://www.penturners.org/forum/f90/our-next-meeting-96997/ ' thread.

Phil then took us to his (really clean) shop in his basement where we played with his home-built CNC router. We made two spiral pens and put them on the auction table (see pictures earlier in this thread).

We started at 1:30 and finished around 5:15 ... good time was had by all.

At this point I'm going to close this thread and create a new ' http://www.penturners.org/forum/f90/winter-2014-meeting-115712/ ' thread. Please review the 2014 schedule and provide comments in that thread.

Also, I'm going to start a new thread ('Update Contact info') ... to help me do a better job of sending reminders and with some other planning functions. Please see the opening post in that thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom