Faceted Pepper Mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

12" Oregon Myrtle Pepper Mill with facets cut on the base, top, and the ring near the top of the base.

I still need to figure out how to photograph pepper mills without it looking like they are leaning over :-(

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sam@CSUSA

Great looking pepper mill! Don't be too hard on the photo... I couldn't take a decent picture to save my life!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cool technique, Barry!!

It will be interesting to see how it sells. "Different" will always attract attention---that's half the battle!!

sbwertz

12" Oregon Myrtle Pepper Mill with facets cut on the base, top, and the ring near the top of the base.

I still need to figure out how to photograph pepper mills without it looking like they are leaning over :-(

-Barry

If you don't already have it, download Picasa. It has a "straighten" command that will take care of the tilt.

Attachments

• peppermill.jpg
    peppermill.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 158

bitshird

Barry that is sweet, Nice piece of Myrtle, great idea with the faceting, it will make life easier with slightly greasy or oily hands.

-Barry

My pictures look as if they are leaning also... likely culprit is a tilt to your camera and not absolutely level with the mill when you photograph it... found that to be part of my problem... sometimes I get good straight shots, sometimes I don't. I've learned to use the "straighten picture" feature in my photo program... I use Microsoft Digital Image 9 myself... I have Picasa3 on my computer, but not much of a fan... prefer the MDI9 ... probably because I'm used to using it and know it better...

TreeBits

Try tilting the camera... That's a joke, my pepper mills seem to lean also...

ctubbs

Beautiful work. Is the mill a segmenting or did you index to get the facets? The axis of the camera should be plumb to the object to produce a vertical image. Otherwise you end up with a leaner. Much easier to fix a small lean in editing.
Charles

broitblat

Awesome.

So were the facets cut before or after the turning? Almost looks like after to me. Indexing?

The facets were cut after rough turning using indexing and a router. I originally wanted to do fewer (6) facets, but then I figured out I'd have to do 4 passes for each to get the width and depth I wanted -- maybe next time.

Beautiful work. Is the mill a segmenting or did you index to get the facets? The axis of the camera should be plumb to the object to produce a vertical image. Otherwise you end up with a leaner. Much easier to fix a small lean in editing.
Charles

Thanks. I know in principle I need to get the axes to align, but in practice it has been more difficult :confused:

I've checked that the floor, table, and tripod are all level (and that the bottom of the mill is square), and even measured the image in the view finder, but... I guess I just need slow down and keep trying :wink:

-Barry

Daniel

The leaning problem may be an issue of Focal Length. Basically the camera lens can warp the image. This is obvious when lenses like a fish eye are used. It gets harder to see as you use lenses that are closer to the human eye. But a long tall object will exaggerate the effect. I am not ceratin as I am working by memory but I think the human eye sees at around a 70mm range. A 55mm or similar (Common) lens will bend the object. Noticably in some cases. The fix sorry to say is to use a lens closer to 70mm.

Top Bottom