Facet with a Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
19: Facets with a Twist
last post: 18- Working Quickly
Post19_02.jpg

I wanted to make a faceted pen but disrupt the shape with an unexpected twist at the end.​

The Problem
Despite lots of experiments, the straight facet jig I use with my router table wouldn't adapt to this challenge. Similar to last time, I wanted to avoid new purchases and use the tools I already own, including a 3d printer.

Solution
(Not rocket surgery, just how I did it.)
I merged a few experiments with the design Dave posted earlier this month and Frankenstein-ed another approach... that works!
Post19_16.jpg

Post19_09.jpg

Here's how it works:
Step 1
Slide assembly to cut straight section of facet.
Post19_05.jpg

Step 2
When hexagonal block hits the red stop block, begin twisting right handle.
Post19_04.jpg

Post19_14.jpg

Step 3
As right handle twists, the screw-shaped plug continues to pull the blank along in a curved path.
Post19_06.jpg

Repeat for all 6 sides.
Post19_10.jpg

Post19_11.jpg

Summary
After tinkering with this for the past few weeks it was glorious to have the process work yesterday. I even completed a second pen.
Post19_01.jpg

3D file and Assembly
In case you're interested, the 3D print file is attached as a zipped *.obj called FacetTwist1.zip.
It contains these four pieces.
Post19_17.jpg

More complete assembly list:
Post19_15.jpg

Assembly Notes:
The two washers are crucial. They keep the Spiral plug from falling out of the Hexagonal Guide.
A Cylindrical Guide on the right allows the handle to revolve while twisting. The center hole lines up perfectly with the Hexagon Guide. However this requires an additional Back Spacer to keep everything perfect.
The Back Spacer and stop block were held in place with a little masking tape.

Big Thanks
Pierre's beautiful Urushi pen provided inspiration for the project. I was only trying to mimic a single detail of his exquisite pen and it provided a great deal of fun.
As I mentioned before, Dave's bandsaw jig provided a new approach right when I was starting to hit a brick wall. Thank you!

Thanks for looking
- Cullen

Attachments

• post16.a2.jpg
    post16.a2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Post19_15.jpg
    Post19_15.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 137
  • FacetTwist1.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Post19_03.jpg
    Post19_03.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 126
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

WOW !! . . That is ingenious !!

Is your middle name "Edison" ? ..... you seem to have a generous endowment of his inventiveness !! . . :) :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Another home runs! There is some wonderful creativity bubbling up on IAP recently. Very excellent Cullen. 👏 👏

Wmcullen

Thanks all. You're very generous.
I'm obviously having a lot of fun and sharing these ideas is wonderfully satisfying.
I appreciate every bit of feedback a great deal!
More importantly, I've had more "gee-whiz" ideas in the months since joining IAP than in the previous few years of pen turning. The peer encouragement, honest critiques, and raw inspiration found in this group is an invaluable gift!
- Cullen

guitarchitect

Very cool! How about the holy grail - a 1mm wood threading jig! It would need a router (mounted horizontally, like a pantorouter) and probably a setup similar to the lathe threading jigs that are out there... and custom router bits! but think of the possibilities!

Wmcullen

Oh boy that challenge makes my head hurt. :)
I really like 3D printing, but I'm always cognizant that the parts my PLA-based printer create are "cheap plastic."
Precision isn't really in its nature... at least in my (in) experience.
But even as I'm typing this... you got my wheels turning.
Thanks!

Top Bottom